❝CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO❞

▌𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨 ━︎━︎ 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐃𝐨 𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝 ▌

━︎━︎━︎━︎𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐃𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐑 had noticed the cut that was still bleeding on her mothers cheek, she was quick to drag the woman to her bedroom, cleaning up even though Aphrodite claimed she could do it herself. Artemis continued to gently pat at the cut, glancing at her mother who was staring blankly off into space. While getting the supplies, Artemis was quick to be filled in on what had happened. Artemis knew that her mother was sitting there, blaming herself for not getting to Lorna. She always blamed herself for something she never had any control over.

     "Don't do that." Artemis softly spoke, moving the wet cloth from the cut and looking at her mother. Aphrodite blinked, turning her attention towards her daughter, giving her a small frown.

     "Do what?"

     The seventeen year old gave her mother a knowing look before answering her. "Blame yourself for something you couldn't control." She took Neosporin, placing it on her mother's cheek, already knowing she wasn't going to wear a bandage over the cut because she absolutely despised the things.

     "I'm―︎"

     "You are." Artemis said with a soft sigh, pulling away once she was finished and fully looking at her mother. "You do it every time, mama. You blame yourself for everything that goes wrong. I wouldn't even be surprised if you blame yourself for something you weren't even present for." Her mother bit the inside of her cheek, looking down at her hands. "What happened out there was not your fault, alright? Lorna would have rather you get Marcos to safety than give her the time of day."

     "I know." Aphrodite said with a small sigh. She looked at her daughter, offering her a gentle smile. "I thought the roles were supposed to be switched here. I'm supposed to be the one telling you everything's alright, not the other way around."

     Artemis gave a small laugh. "It is. But, I felt you needed me to be the parent today." Aphrodite chuckled, shaking her head slightly before grabbing her daughter's hand, giving it a small squeeze.

     "I love you, Art."

     She gave her mother a kiss on her cut before saying, "I love you too, mom."

     Aphrodite gave her a small smile before asking, "How'd that Neosporin taste?"

     "Pretty disgusting."

     Aphrodite laughed, Artemis joining her. "Yeah, thought so."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

━︎━︎━︎━︎"𝐒𝐎, 𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐀𝐍 attack happened at a high school." John spoke as he walked up to Aphrodite who was sitting on one of the many couches with Zingo's head in her lap. She ran her fingers through the dog's fur, a gentle smile on her lips before watching as John took a seat beside her. "They claimed that they suspected it was two young mutants, and that federal authorities were getting involved."