❝CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR❞

▌𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 ━︎━︎ 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐄𝐫𝐠 ▌

━︎━︎━︎━︎𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 Aphrodite made enough breakfast for four people. Clarice and Marcos were supposed to come to the apartment to discuss what they were going to do. Clarice had shown on time, smiling at Aphrodite and helping her cook. The finished eating and Clarice offered to do dishes and John helped her, leaving Aphrodite to wipe off the table and feed Zingo.

"There's no guarantees, but if we want to find Andy and Lorna, we need all the help we can get." John said, looking at Clarice as he took some of the dishes over to the sink.

"I'm still hung up on this dude's name." Clarice replied, taking the plates from John. "Erg? And he lives with his buddies in the sewer?"

"See?" Aphrodite said, pointing at Clarice and looking at John. "I'm not the only one."

"Let's meet him before dismissing him." John told them both. John went to say something else but stopped when the door opened.

Marcos stood there, having just woken up, and he looked awful. "Sorry I'm late."

"Well, I just fed your food to Zingo." Aphrodite apologized. "Hope you weren't hungry." Marcos just waved her off.

John continued. "Caitlin is going to be looking over the information we got from Evangeline. I figure you, Aph, and I can head downtown."

"I could join you on that." Marcos spoke up.

"No." John immediately shot him down. "You're gonna sit this one out."

"What?"

"You're a mess, Marcos. I can smell the booze on your breath from here."

"Come on, I'm fine."

"What about your little light show last night?" John challenged, walking towards him. Clarice and Aphrodite exchanged a look as Aphrodite moved to stand beside Clarice. "All over the news. What the hell were you thinking?"

Clarice walked forwards, placing a hand over Marcos's. "The next time you drunk dial your ex, just make sure you don't include the entire Eastern Seaboard."

Marcos sighed. "I know I shouldn't have done it. I just. . ."

"Get your head right. We'll need you soon enough." John walked away from him and Aphrodite softly sighed. She looked at Marcos and gave him a small reassuring smile, letting him know she would handle it. With a sigh, Marcos left.

Clarice moved to stand beside of Aphrodite. "Alright, what's going on with him?"

"I might have an idea, but I'm not sure if I'm right."