Chapter 19

When they got there they heard paintings clapping and Dumbledore smiling.

Dexter Fortescue was waving his ear-trumpet; and Phineas Niggelus called, in his high, reedy voice, "And let it be noted that Slytherin House played its part! Let our contribution not be forgotten!"

But Jade had eyes only for the man who stood in the largest portrait directly behind the headmaster's chair.

Tears were sliding down from behind the half-moon spectacles into the long silver beard, and the pride and the gratitude emanating from him filled Jade with the same balm as phoenix song.

At last, Jade held up her hands, and the portraits fell respectfully silent, beaming and mopping their eyes and waiting eagerly for him to speak. She directed her words at Dumbledore, however, and chose them with enormous care.

Still tired and bleary-eyed though she was, she must make one last effort, seeking one last piece of advice.

"The thing that was hidden in the Snitch," she began, "I dropped it in the forest. I don't exactly know where, but I'm not going to go looking for it again. Do you agree?"

"My dear girl, I do," said Dumbledore, while his fellow pictures looked confused and curious. "A wise and courageous decision, but no less than I would have expected of you. Does anyone know else know where it fell?"

"No one," said Jade, and Dumbledore nodded his satisfaction.

"I'm going to keep Ignotus's present, though, even though I'm changing my name to Jade Lily Black. I'm still heir of Potter." said Jade, and Dumbledore beamed.

"But of course, Jade, it is yours forever, until you pass it on!"

"Yeah, you're the oldest so it's still yours." Henry said.

She had told him she was changing from Potter to Black for Sirius.

"And then there's this."

Jade held up the Elder Wand, and Ron, Hermione, Daphne, Blaise, Theo, Pansy and Astoria looked at it with a reverence.

"I don't want it." said Jade.

"What?" said Ron loudly. "Are you mental?"

"I know it's powerful," said Jade wearily. "But I was happier with mine. So . . ."

She rummaged in the pouch hung around his neck, and pulled out the two halves of holly still just connected by the finest threat of phoenix feather.

She laid the broken wand upon the headmaster's desk, touched it with the very tip of the Elder Wand, and said,

"Reparo."

As her wand resealed, Red sparks flew out of its end.. She picked up the holly and phoenix wand and felt a sudden warmth in her fingers, as though wand and hand were rejoicing at their reunion.

"I'm putting the Elder Wand," she told Dumbledore, who was watching him with enormous affection and admiration, "back where it came from. It can stay there. If I die a natural death like Ignotus, its power will be broken, won't it? The previous master will never have been defeated. That'll be the end of it."

Dumbledore nodded. They smiled at each other.

"Are you sure?" said Ron.

There was the faintest trace of longing in his voice as he looked at the Elder Wand.

"I think Jade's right," said Henry quietly.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth." said Jade.