8. Doll Face

"Janine still ugly?" Mars sipped her coffee.

"Yeah, you really needed an update."

"I thought you would have said the bat finally crooked."

"I think enough death has occurred."

"You're right. I'm so sorry Doll." She rubbed my arm when my phone started to ring.

"Sorry, give me a minute. It's from Clyde."

"New man?" Mars smirked.

"Old sheriff."

I step out onto the sidewalk and answered.

River: Hey Clyde, What's good?

Clyde: What the hell are you doing?

River: You sound too young to be Clyde.

Maddox: That's because it's stable boy, I mean Dox.

River: Aw, you have accepted your status. What can I do for you, Doxy?

Maddox: Tell me why the fuck you are in California? You're still a damn suspect River!

River: Okay don't raise your voice. I needed an alibi, so I'm chasing them down.

Maddox: You really just can't listen to rules for once in your life can you!

River: Nope.

Maddox: ...

River: So are you cool if I finish up here and head back to you as soon as I can.

Maddox:  Back to me?

River: Duh, I want to be in on the investigation. You're the lead. What else?

Maddox: Right, uh, hurry back. I'm covering for you right now at the station.

River: Alright see you tomorrow.

Maddox: Bye River.

Okay, so Mr. Paranoid just put me on a timeline with this whole thing. I headed back into Mars' apartment and sat on her tan couch. She had finished her tea and had a huge smile plastered on her face.

"What's up Doc?" I laughed.

"I have something really important to tell you."

"You're knocked up?"

"Shut up. You remember James?"

"Yeah, you're long distance boyfriend from Norway that I never met."

"Well," She pulled her hand from behind her back, and there it was. "He proposed. Doll, I said yes. I said yes! I'm getting married."

It was three pearls. The two outer ones were perfectly white while the one in the middle had a bluish tint. All set on yellow gold with tiny gems going on the outsides. It was, without a doubt, so perfectly Mars.

I had never met this James before, didn't even know his last name, but if the smile on Mars' face told me anything, it was that this was the man for her.

"Congratulations Mars!" I cheered giving her a world-class hug.

"Thank you, Doll. You're usually so blunt with your opinion so it means so much that you support this."

"I support you. Whatever that entails."

"Congratulations Miss Martha." Daisy yelled from the kitchen.

"When's the wedding?"

"A week?"

"What!"

"Well I didn't know how to tell you, it just lucked out that you happen to be here."