Chapter 8

Cassie POV

Upon reaching the table after what seemed like an endless struggle to reach the other end of the cafeteria, I found myself suddenly bombarded with questions.

"Cassie!! Where were you? How do you know Mitchell? Why did you arrive with him? What did you guys talk about? Did you really walk in class with Brandon second period? How did you even-" Vicky rambled on endlessly till she was finally silenced by a girl sitting next to her by a mouthful of sandwiches.

"Ummm, Vicky you alright there?" I asked raising an eyebrow sitting down opposite her and the girl. "Is there something I need to know about Mitchell and Brandon that makes me so special?"

I found myself very confused with her reaction. But thinking back on today, the class did seem awfully quiet when I entered the room with Brandon and the whole cafeteria did seem to look our way when I arrived with Mitchell.

"How could you not know? Oh, right it's your first day. I'll take it that I should be the one to inform you about this school's 'popularity' system then." She said rather knowledgably as she chewed on her sandwich.

She gestured towards the middle table of the cafeteria where I saw Mitchell and Brandon seated. "That's where Brandon and his friends sit." I nodded, glancing in their direction.

"Alexa and her best friend Tori also sit there. Alexa being the queen bee and all, they're the only ones who sit at that table with Brandon and his friends beccasue they think that they're the only ones 'good' enough to." Vicky rolled her eyes as she said the last part.

So Tori was Alexa's best friend? So figured, I could see how they would get along so well.

"Anyway, Brandon's what you so call the 'Mr Popular' in our school along with Mitchell, his best friend. The other two guys that are sitting opposite them is Zach Sawnders and Luke Anderson, the one with the red beanie being Zach, and the one with the light brown hair being Luke. The four of them make up the 'popular guy group' which all the girls fawn over. Most of the girls here have their 'ideal' guy in the group."

"Me personally favouring Zach." She added with a sly grin. "I mean have you seen how cute he looks in his beanie? And in the rare cases of him without one he looks- "She was again cut off with some salad stuffed into her mouth by the same girl that was sitting next to her.

Looking at the girl, she looked mixed between Asian and European with her beautiful simi-pale skin, dark brown eyes and long black hair that was tied in a low ponytail. She was wearing a dark grey singlet with the words 'Fate' inscribed on it, she also had on pair of faded black skinny jeans which had a few tears along the sides.

I glanced at Vicky in confusion, wondering who she was. She seemed quiet and had an almost mysterious vibe. She was the complete opposite of Vicky, who was loud, cheerful and outgoing.

Vicky gestured between the both of us, "Cassie meet Beth, and Beth meet Cassie." I gave Beth small wave in which she responded with a nod.

Vicky grinned turning to face Beth, "Beth, Cassie's the girl I was telling you about who stood up to Alexa this morning."

Beth responded with another simple nod before Vicky continued.

"And Cassie this is my friend Beth, sorry about her lack of talking but she normally takes some time to 'figure people out' before she feels comfortable talking them. Don't worry though, I'm sure you guys will get along in no time." Giving me a comforting smile.

I shrugged giving Beth another smile, I guess everyone has their own pace in doing things. The sound of my tummy grumbling caused me to look over to the cue to the cafeteria food, guess I should get going before everything runs out.