Two

Our Cade Malien in the picture above, portrayed by Ben Barnes 😍
__________________

Idalia

"Now that we've finished the testing, we can get down to business!" His voice lures me to look again at his face but I decide to keep my eyes on my glass of wine instead. He was right! Lust has won me over. And not having eaten dinner before we came here is not a good combination. My mind is definitely not in the right place. I raise my eyes for a second and look as his lips moving as he talks with Jim and the others and find myself licking mine.

"Sure thing, mister Malien! Ida will offer all the relevant information to you." Jim tells him a bit too overjoyed and makes me focus on the task at hand again.

"I didn't see a slide regarding the partners portfolio in your email this morning, Ida." He says my name and I finally look at him again. Get a grip, Ida! You got this! Just don't look into his eyes!

"That is because I was never told what your goal is. What market do you wish to reach with your product?" I ask him with my best natural forced smile.

"The Seven Deadly Sins will be an exclusive collection of wine, only designed for Luxury Hospitality Industry." He says and leans against his chair with that proud smirk on his face again.

"So, do you want me to call the owner of L'Ambroisie? Or the owner of Osteria Francescana? Because that won't be a problem." I tell him my smile turning into a smug. He plays with his fingers for a few seconds and looks to his side at Jim.

"I think I have everything I need. Can we discuss the details after the poker game?" He asks and my heart skips a beat. Does that mean we got the deal?

"When do we get started?" Jim asks and they all stand up and go to the library, where a big poker table is installed. My first instinct is to check out each book that I can reach with my sight. He has all the classics. Some of the books look really old. I expect some are princeps editions. He also has a lot of philosophy and fantasy books. Such a vast variety of genres.

"Would you like to join us, Miss Lumien?" He asks me and I turn around surprised by how close he is. I can literally smell his perfume and it's making me hot all of the sudden.

"No, thank you! I will just sit around and study your book collection." I tell him and he goes and takes his seat at the table and then starts dealing the cards himself. His fingers move graciously as he first mixes them. I start walking around the table, looking at each of their hands and then at the cards in the middle. I see Jan has the best hand and is going to win the first round. I try not to smile as I don't want to tip the other players off and also because Cade's eyes have been following me like a hawk. It's making me a little uncomfortable, since I am to one that's supposed to study him.

The second hand is won by Jim. He collects his chips with pride written all over his face. Maybe he should also check out the wine. It would suit him. I smile to myself and continue to circle the table. I decide to study the books some more as they continue their game. The next hands are won by Cade and it's down to the last chips for Jim.

"All in!" I hear Jim say and I look at his cards. Cade looks at me and I ponder on whether I should signal him or not that Jim is bluffing.

"Hmm..." Cade says and plays with his chips. I slowly raise my hand and play with my ear and he follows closely my gestures, his lips parting. Then I gently run my index finger across my lower neck, signalling a traditional "Neck Tie" and I see a hint of a small smile pass his lips.

"All in!" He says and I nod and turn around, leaving the room. I go to the bathroom and check my shoe again, replacing the band aid and then I go get myself some water. The wine has me a bit too daring, right now. I can't believe I just made Jim lose that amount of money, but I am not sorry for it. He is a self centered asshole that treats all his female employees like brainless objects. He deserved it!

I step outside on the balcony and enjoy the chilly June air on my skin. I need to stay focused. I need to stay on top of my game...

"He agreed to sign us on, but he has one condition." Jim's voice startles me.

"Which is?" I ask him as I turn around to look at him.

"He wants you!" Jim says and I laugh nervously at him.

"Does he, now?" I reply feeling offended. "Does he know I am not a hooker he can buy?" I ask him not allowing myself to get angry yet.

"Not like that, Ida! I mean, probably like that for sure... He wants you to work for him and then he will sign the contract." Jim says and I groan with anger.

"It's kinda the same thing, Jim!" I tell him. "You are basically selling me off like a slave, so you can get this contract!" I tell him and he lowers his gaze to the ground. I mean, the plan is working great, so far, but that doesn't mean Jim doesn't deserve a taste of female wrath.

"We are bankrupt, Ida! If we don't get this contract, I will have to declare bankrupcy, let everyone go and close the doors." He tells me and my face falls off.

"What? How?" I ask him and look at his hand. He is playing with a poker chip. "You asshole!" I tell him and he doesn't reply.

"I need your help, Ida!" He tells me and I lose it.

"You need to see a damn shrink, Jim! Because you are sick! This is an addiction!" I tell him and he looks to the side. I try to pull myself together and put on my business smile.

"I am doing this for Ava!" I tell him as I pass him by and find my way to the library again.

"Miss Lumien!" Cade greets me with that smirk on his face again.

"So, where do I sign?" I ask him and he looks contempt with my answer.

"Don't you want to know what the job is?" He asks me, raising an eyebrow.

"What do you need me to do?" I ask him, just to humour him. Keep the new boss happy!

"You will handle the contact and negociations on behalf of your former employer. They will be the ones handling all the legal aspects and signing them. I don't want the name of my company on any contract. I don't want any publicity done that includes my company name or myself. I don't care how you do it, but my life is private and it needs to stay that way even after we launch the product line!" He says and I almost roll my eyes at him. Mister Cocky and Misterious!

"Sure thing, boss!" I let the words slip out of my mouth before I can think them. Damned wine! His smile fades and is replaced by that intense look again and it makes my mouth run dry. My eyes lock with his and he raises his eyebrow ever so lightly. In that moment, a sense of familiarity comes over me. Have I seen that look before? Have I seen him before? He pushes forward a contract and a pen and I snap out of my thoughts.

I hold the fancy looking pen and suddenly feel a small sting in my finger, like the prick of a needle. I dismiss it as a result of too much wine. As I sign my name, I see that the ink is red. Such a peculiar choice of colour for signing contracts. He takes the pen and signs it as well with a satisfied look on his face, or at least that is my presumption.

"See you on Monday, Miss Lumien!"

"Yes... See you on Monday, Sir!"