Nine

The following morning Mark had coffee waiting for Sarah when she walked down the stairs, "Thought you'd need some," he smiled.

Surprisingly there was no awkwardness that she feared there would be, accepting the travel mug, she hovered over the steam and inhaled its aroma with a satisfied sigh.

"Way to her heart, coffee," Mark joked with a wink.

Sarah rolled her eyes, grinning, and walked towards the door, "We need to get an early start, it's nearly 8 A.M. and we're not even there yet."

Rushing to close the door and lock it as she was already half way to the car, he chuckled, "What's the hurry? We've only slept four hours, and besides, I have to run into the office before we head to Jackson."

Looking at him over the hood as she opened the passenger door, she arched an eyebrow in curiosity, "Oh?"

"Yes," they climbed in and closed their doors, "there's some files Darcy needs me to sign off on. It won't take long, then we can head straight for Jackson." He smiled, patting her thigh.

Sarah downed the rest of her coffee, setting the cup in the cup holder, "Maybe a stop for an iced coffee on the way to Jackson?" she smiled hopeful.

Mark glanced at her quickly with a smirk that made her giggle, "Stop," shaking her head, she looked out the window as the West division of CIU came into sight. What the hell was going on with her? One intense make-out moment and she's giggling? She worried last night that she had upset him by stopping him, maybe she was worried about nothing.

As he parked the car, she watched how he was alert to his surroundings, not only just to see where he was going with the car, but he looked at everything. She noticed he looked across the street and his eye danced across the line of people walking on the sidewalk and crossing the street.

Smiling and shaking off the ridiculous feeling of the start of a teenage crush, she stepped up on the curb walking next to Mark down the sidewalk towards the main entrance. She was leaving soon; she'd just keep reminding herself that's why she wouldn't start anything with him. Deep in her thoughts, she was caught off guard when he grabbed her arm and pulled her to his other side, "What are you doing?" she asked, disoriented for a moment.

"A man should always walk on the side closest to a road, he is to protect her at any costs."

"That's ridiculous," she laughed.

"Says you, but I'd rather not have one of these fast drivers take you out before I can."

She laughed loudly at the corny line, "Mark, are you flirting with me?"

Stopping them both just before entering the building, he turned to her, "Maybe I am. Would that be a bad thing?"

His eyes glistened in the sun, brightening the green within them. Her heartbeat increased as he stared down into her eyes. Ignored the crowd of people walking around them, his hand slowly came rose to her cheek caressing it softly before cupping the side of her face.

"Mark," she breathed. She looked from his lips to his eyes, biting her bottom lip. Smiling, he leaned in, connecting their lips together in a soft, yet passionate kiss. When he pulled away Sarah felt giddy, but not exactly like she was dancing on cloud nine. He was attractive, hot even, but he it just didn't feel right.

Smiling, she cleared her throat to regain her composure, "Those papers aren't going to sign themselves." she stated.

Smiling, he gestured for her to walk a head of him and reached out to open the door for her as they approached the main entrance. Once inside, Sarah was greeted by Darcy with a huge knowing smile and warm hug. Scott was standing off to the side talking to Jenny in what looked like a heated discussion. The two of them looked over, Sarah smiled and waved. Scott smiled curtly while Jenny smiled, but it was a sad smile which made Sarah's brows pull in and look at Scott in question. He shook his head slightly to tell her now wasn't the time.

"You and I have some gossiping to do," Darcy nudged her, beaming, "How about lunch today?"

Sarah glanced over to where Mark was signing paperwork, "We've still got files to pore over in Jackson. Honestly, I don't know how we're going to piece this thing together. I know what I think it is, but I can't find a connection between the victims, and not only that, but—"

"—So, that's a raincheck." Darcy interrupted.

"What? Oh," Sarah chuckled, "Yeah. Sorry, Darc, I just really need to—"

"—Focus."

"Yes. Stop doing that," she laughed.

"Can't help it. I know you too well. This means you're not stopping until this case is solved. That's one thing you and Scott always had in common, life could wait, solving an open case couldn't."

Sarah smiled as memories of her and Scott spending days into nights and nights into days in investigation rooms poring over evidence and details of cases came to mind. They never stopped, not until the case was solved. Sometimes the two of them slept in shifts just to make sure someone was always going through the evidence.

"They need you, just go." Sarah turned to see Jenny passing her on her way to the door. Jenny glanced at her, sadness in her eyes, and smiled.

"Good luck with the case, Sarah," she said quietly and disappeared into the crowd of people walking in front of the building. She turned to Scott in question, "Hey," she caught his arm as he walked by her towards the filing room. He was headed upstairs.

Shrugging her off, he shook his head, "I've got to grab my keys. I'll meet you guys in Jackson."

Sarah's eyes met Marks in worry.

"Do you want me to ride with you? We can talk," Sarah offered. She noticed the eye twitch Mark tried to hide but didn't care, something was going on with her friend and she needed to be there for him.

"No. Ride with Mark."

Scott turned and walked away from them. "Scott—" Sarah called out, but he ignored her and vanished into the evidence room.

"Just give him some time." Darcy stepped beside her and whispered. Looking at her, Sarah noticed she glanced over her shoulder quickly to see if Mark was listening. He was, so she pat Sarah's arm and said her good-byes, "I'll be waiting for that lunch. Go solve that case so we can go," she said a little louder.

Knowing Darcy was holding something back, but also knowing she knew when to pry and not, she let it go.

"Let's go, Mark. Before Detective Grey gets in there and messes all of my organizing up," she pushed open the door and slipped in line with the walkers and headed towards Marks's car.