Promotion

Sharjah, UAE

"Today, we discuss issues that come up in private air travelling and how as pilots we may have to be involved. I don't know what you've been taught in your flying schools about leaving crew to settle all trouble, but in private air travel, you cannot. Many times, cabin crew may be overwhelmed and you need to step in." Salman's phone buzzed and he stopped looking at the projected picture on the board and looked at his iwatch and upon seeing his father's name, silenced the call with the palm of his left hand.

"How do you do so? You must- Mr Baazinye, is there a problem?" Salman nodded and excused himself from the class, just as he shut the door to the class, his mother's call came in. He picked and heard his mother asking if his father had called, Salman rubbed his forehead in exasperated silence, waiting for his mother to speak.

The gist of the issue was, his father was in the UAE to take her home and she didn't want to go anywhere. She called Salman to make sure his father didn't go to the house.

"I want nothing to do with him." Salman wanted to interject that they weren't over yet but knew he would launch another lecture if he said his mind, so he kept quiet and agreed. 

One thing people forgot to say when a couple divorced was the brunt on it on their children. Especially when they didn't part on amicable terms, their children were pulled from one side to another and although Salman knew his father and his grandmother were at fault, it still didn't take away his tiredness. He just wanted it all to end.

The moment his call ended with his mother, his father called. Salman picked and his father was frantic, asking where Deena was, what was the address and questions that he should have asked months and months before but didn't because of his ego.

"She said very clearly not to let anyone know where she is, even I don't know. She just calls me everyday." Salman asked for Allah's forgiveness as he lied without blinking but he feared Allah first and his mother second. He would do everything to keep her safe and away from trouble. Even if the trouble was his own father.

"You must be out of your mind!" Salman flinched at his father's shout but stood his ground. He wanted nothing but peace, but he knew if peace was at his own expense or his mother's, it was no peace.

HIBBA

The crunch of dried leaves under her feet reminded her of the days in her town in katsina where all she had to do was go to school, eat, sleep and dance under the trees with her childhood friends. It made her miss the memories she made and how beautiful her life was. 

"You're here." Hibba nodded with a smile at the fifty year old woman who had taken on her passion for turning port containers into beautiful spaces. 

"Hello Ms. Patience." She greeted with a smile and they walked together into the air-conditioned office building, well, containers designed so beautifully they resembled actual buildings. Hibba followed the designer into her office, looking around again as though she had arrived for the first time, the plush comfortable office Ms.Patience called her own. 

"Would you like some tea? Or coffee?" Hibba considered and asked to be given tea. The weather had turned rather cold recently, leaving everyone dressed warmly. 

A few minutes later, a cup of piping tea, prepared to her specifications, was set in front of her with it's bottom tinkling in it's pale blue saucer. The scent of Earl grey tea wafted to Hibba's senses and she smiled, waited for the designer to take her seat again before leaning forward to take a sip of the tea. 

"So, here you go." She handed Hibba a giant tablet that showed the form that Hibba's cafe would take. Hibba took the powerful gadget and slowly looked a prototype picture of what the Cafe was going to be. Everything was done exquisitely, just as Hibba would have wanted and she found herself nodding in appreciation.