17.

(y/n)'s pov

I woke up in a different bed. The sheets were pale blue, as the pillows felt like they were never slept in. I tossed and turned, wondering what had happened. Then the answer sunk into me.

Right. I forgot I wasn't at home. I was in Asteria for the treaty celebration. This marked the second day, and after tomorrow, I would be going back to Ellesmere. This was all too short, and I wished that the event was extended to a week or even two at the most. 

After changing into a light mint green sundress, I went downstairs. The atmosphere was weirdly quiet, and I realized I was almost used to the festive orchestra music and parties. I looked around, and strangely, no one was here in the hall.

Where did everyone go? I wondered. I knew that a few nobles would be staying overnight, so I was surprised that I didn't see anyone. Maybe they went to the square

I decided to walk out of the palace, and because of the silence, I started to play pretend. I danced by myself in the empty room, twirling until I reached the entrance. I felt like a child playing dress-up, but I didn't care.

Once I arrived at the gates, I had to squint and shield my eyes. I guess this was the effect of staying inside for a long time. It was probably already 11 am or noon, and I could not believe I was asleep for this long. 

As I walked farther from the castle unsupervised, I saw the village in front of me and I started to recognize people. So I was right, they were in the plaza.

"(y/n)!" I heard Ayshe exclaim, her arms waving. She was surrounded by some of the others. "Look, we bought some specialty items!"

As I got to her, she showed me a glass jar with the words "Calendula Jam" in cursive lettering. Rose-scented wax sealed the top, while the clear exterior demonstrated the seeds and juices of the object. 

"The rest are ahead," she stated, motioning to the entire square. I waved to Mr. Lucas, who was next to me, and he tipped his hat in response. But the more I went forward into the village, the more people I saw. 

Everyone had a pleasant grin and offered samples of their products. I tried toasted bread with hazelnut and berry oils, which was delicious. I noticed Gilda and Don in the calligraphy section, trying out new inkwells. Mujika and Sonju were busy holding a magic show for the children of some nobles. 

The ambiance felt contrasting. Back then, seven months ago, there was always a sense of fear retaining in the air of Asteria. Worry always clouded the faces of citizens, as terrified mothers covered their kids with scarves, in an effort to protect them from the wrath of the Conglomerate. 

The sun shone, making the water in the stone fountain glitter brightly. Birds conjured by a local sorcerer flew around, making the mood more lively. I guess this was how I knew everything about this frightful kingdom transformed, and I partly knew the reason why.

"Good morning, (y/n)," I heard a familiar voice say. I turned around and was greeted by Ray. He wasn't wearing any formal clothing. Instead, he had a simple ivory blouse with complimenting black pants and brown boots. He proceeded to bow, which prompted me to curtsey.

"Hello Ray," I answered, noticing the flowers in his left hand. "Who're those for?" 

"For my mother," he said. "She has grown sick lately, and I've been taking care of her ever since. The florist is quite a magician if I do say so myself."

"You always did love your mom," I told him, smiling. "Your relationship with her is so nice."

"Thank you. I hope she gets better, for the doctor is with her right now," he replied, taking my hand. "Come with me, I want to show you something."