Arena (2)

After Private Scott finishes up with his lecture, he lets the newbies disperse and do their own thing. Kai pulls Tih along, dragging him to all the interesting looking places he recorded on their walk over.

Tih was pulled to watch different kinds of matches and contests. His eyes flew around his vision, taking in all the new sights. Some competitions were purely fighting matches but some were more creative and involved games involving different combinations of wits, brawn, and creativity. The arenas had electronic leaderboards stating the ranks for each individual game. There were prizes consisting mostly of the island's currency, kquil, with some having other kinds of top prizes, like weapons made by reputable blacksmith instructors and other similar things. Most games had a small entrance fee and a long line to challenge the game or match. It can be seen by the sheer amount of people signing up that the cost of the prizes are paid back in full through the entrance fee.

On a closer inspection, Tih realized that each arena can be rented to hold one's own game or match. Kai also notices this fact and realizes that the people that rent these spaces are making money without lifting a finger.

All in all, it's very similar to a carnival, but with the occasional splatter of blood and unconscious soldier being carried away.

"Oh! Look!" Kai drags Tih to one of the side stalls selling something. Tih looks at the colorful cloud on a stick and Kai talks to himself,"I already noticed this earlier, but each newbie is given a set about of kquil when they arrive. I assume to help them survive until they can find a way to earn money. Private Scott said that lunch is free until the end of today, but I doubt that applies for anything else, meaning buying anything outside of the cafeteria will come out of our own pockets. I wonder how many newbies don't realizes that and spend all their money immediately." Kai chuckles evilly,"..it's like a tourist trap.."

While Kai is mumbling to himself, the attendee at the stand notices the two,"Hey! You two must be newbies right? Don't ask me how I know, I can spot them from a mile away! Where did you two come from, have you ever had cotton candy before? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you haven't. Well let me tell you, cotton candy is basically like sugary clouds. You ever wanted to eat a cloud? Well now you can! Only two kquil!" The man talked quickly like an infomercial.

Tih's attention has already moved to his surroundings and did not take the man's words to heart. Tih watches the people pass by, occasionally spotting soldiers that looked to be fellow new recruits or low-ranked green or purple, one-star instructors, indicating how rare they are, especially high-ranked instructors, which he has yet to see. He observes the soldiers fighting or competing in cleverly constructed games.

A short distance away, a new recruit happened to see the child's face and rage immediately boiled over. His mask cracked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After arriving on this island, my first priority was to establish connections. Putting on a similar expression as the other's around me, I conversed with the 'friends' I made on the train ride.

After learning more about my new environment, I've come to the conclusion...strength is everything. With strength comes power, with power comes respect, and that's what I want.

I follow my group to the Arena and start inspecting each profession. I need something well suited to my body type, something I can become proficient in quickly, and hopefully something I have talent in. That's the only way I'll be able to grasp an instructor's attention and get an apprenticeship. The higher the rank of the instructor, the better it'll be for me.

After my experience with that...freak... I realized I need more physical power. An instructor's influence is powerful. Powerful enough to make my retaliation, and take my revenge for what he did..to my ear...*shivers*

I'll never forget what he did to me. That deranged expression he showed to me..it's not human. That thing's not human...

I bring myself out of my thoughts as I hear the people I'm with suggest buying food from one of the stall. I slap a smile on my face and decline.

Idiots, they don't realize this is coming out of our own paycheck. Looks like I need to find smarter people to hang around. Not too smart  though, my best weapon is my fabricated personality. I've noticed that a lot of the people here have seen through my facade.

The people on this island aren't normal either, just like-...ha...speak of the literal devil and he appears.

I can't help but feel pure disgust and anger swell through every inch of my body. My mask crumbles as rage fills me. My surroundings become silent and all I'm left with is the face of the monster that haunts my nightmares.

My feet move on their own as my fist rushes to meet his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling heavy killing intent, Tih quickly dodges the incoming attack without much effort. It had to be said, the punch was pure rage and adrenaline. There were no technical abilities involved, just a straight confrontation.

Without anything to stop the force of impact, the new recruit slams into the cotton candy booth, creating a huge commotion. The surrounding soldiers quickly become spectators as they entrap Kai, Tih, the recruit, and the booth in a circle. The crowd is questioning their fellow onlookers about the situation, making the commotion even noisier.

The recruit slowly get up from the damaged booth. The cotton candy seller is about to scold the soldier from not understanding the rules of the Arena but is silenced by the thick killing intent the recruit is emitting.

Tih looks at Axel, who he hasn't seen since the day he blacked out. He only found out later through gossip what he had done, but Tih doesn't remember any of it.

Ah, no, technically he was on the same bus and train as him, but didn't not acknowledge his existence, because he was too busy observing the new things around him. So, this is the first time he's really 'seen' Axel since the incident.

Kai saw Axel jump Tih without warning, and stepped in front of the child to shield him with his arm,"HEY! What do you think your doing?! You can't just sneak attack someone like that!"

Axel can't hear a thing Kai is saying. He looks into the monster's clear, innocent eyes, completely different from how they were that night. A dull pain aches on the nub where his ear used to reside as memories resurge in Axel's mind. His eyes shine a furious red glimmer as he recklessly charges at Tih.

Axel swipes a claw with the full force of his body. Tih easily side-steps the incoming Axel, pulling Kai with him, and watches as a part of the crowd splits open as they are now faced with the uncontrollable Axel flying in their direction. After his failed pounce and wit no way to slow his momentum, Axel slams to the stone floor, rebounding the brunt force back into his own body. Seemingly unfazed by the pain it must have caused, Axel slowly gets back up covered with a few minor scrapes and bruises hidden underneath his black military uniform.

Just as Axel was about to launch another attack, a deafening yell slammed an invisible pressure onto everyone in its radius,"𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙤𝙣 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚?!" The booming voice resounds through the area, instantly silencing the commotion.