Breaking Machine

Warning: some upsetting scenes ⚠️
(I suggest reading Pressure, Comfort and Encouragement first before this)
OCs by me

This week at Spottiswood and Co, Bertha is making school supplies. It is the children's summer holiday; that means they will start a new school year in September after the heat finally dropped down into colder weather. So, the demand for pencils, notepads, etc was higher than ever before. First, Bertha had made pencil cases in many colours, then she made notepads with lines and squared paper, and recently, she has started making pencils. Ted puts the necessary materials in one end of Bertha, and Roy checks each one at the other end with TOM, the little robot. Nell and Flo then packs each pencil in small cardboard packaging.

However, even with the help from Panjit, TOM and even Mrs Tupp, work was always piling up and they couldn't wait for the supply craze to be over with. To make things short, they were all stressed! The workers were glad when tea break came round, and they all sat on one of the empty crates exhausted with a cup of tea in their hands. "In all my years of working here I've never seen such a high demand for school supplies." spoke Ted, taking a sip from his mug. "But we've not got much to do now. We just have to finish the order of pencils and start making the school bags."

"I'll be glad when all of this work is done. I don't think I can keep up with all of this workload anymore!" said Flo, sadly. Nell placed her mug onto a nearby crate and placed her hand on Flo's shoulder. "Don't worry, Flo. Mr Willmake says that he will hire someone to help us." assured Nell. "Is he?" Roy jumped, surprised. "Oh, a helper would be good! ...I just hope that they are friendly too." They all nodded in agreement. Another set of hands would benefit and help with the order, and even Bertha loved the news of another helper. Another helper means another friend!

"Yes, I'm sure you'll fit right in with the staff!" A voice came from the dispatch department. They walked into the factory floor with a figure they do not recognise. "Well, I hope so, sir. I'm more then happy to help!" came another voice, he was very eager and enthusiastic in his voice.

"It looks like Mr Willmake has already hired a helper!" Roy said to Ted, half bashful and half excited. Ted got up from his crate seat and placed his cup of tea on it. "Yes he has. That was oddly quick." responded Ted. "I suppose we better make a good impression and introduce ourselves." He walked up to the two figures, feeling a release of stress in his body. Roy followed behind with Nell and Flo, fidgeting with his arms to calm his anxiety. Ted approached the newcomer and Mr Willmake was very happy to see him. "Ah Ted," he exclaimed, formally. "I would like you to meet our newest staff member, Otis."

Otis Myrtle was a rather fine man in his late 20s, smart and outgoing in his appearance. His posture is up straight with satisfaction and pleasure as he instantly hand shakes Ted's hand the moment he laid eye contact on the operator. "Hello, glad to be of service here in Spottiswood!" he beamed, energetically. "Hello, Otis, I'm Ted. The head operator of our best machine, Bertha." Ted smiled. He felt like his arm was going to fall off with the hand shaking. Ted did not like that motion at all and gave a confused look. "..Could you stop shaking my hand now, please? I'm going to need both of my hands for work." The two stopped shaking hands and Otis let out a small chuckle. "..S-Sorry about that mate. I guess I'm just really excited to start work." apologised Otis. "My old job is just...not paying much I would say. My rent has gone up and the prices for food and other necessities gone up. I-I just needed a change of career so I don't lose my house."

Ted felt sorry for him and assured the new worker that he would get paid weekly so he wouldn't have to worry about going into debt. Otis let out a small smile as the operator went on to introducing the other floor workers to him, pointing at each one individually. Otis greeted each of them the same way, letting out a big smile and a handshake to everyone. Then, he got introduced to TOM the robot. TOM was very excited to see the new worker and started zipping around him with his little pincer hands up. Mr Willmake turned to Ted, satisfied with the first impression. "I'm sure that you will all make him feel welcome in the factory. I'd like to see him work alongside Bertha with Nell and Flo." Mr Willmake asked. Ted gave a nod to the instruction. "Yes sir, we'll make sure he does not slack off." he acknowledged. The manager headed off to his office upstairs, pleased with the decision of hiring someone to help.