if you're meant to come back to me you will

December, 1769

"Nora, wait!", Mary Louise screamed as she chased Nora around the orchard, lifting up her dress to run.

"no, come get me if you can!", Nora said with a giggle.

"oh I will certainly get you young lady. just a matter of time", Mary Louise said, laughing and trying to tackle Nora to the ground.

"You will not going get me, Mary!", Nora shouted, peeping from behind a tree.

"oh we will see about that!", Mary Louise laughed and said.

Finally after a lot of running, Mary Louise caught Nora. Panting of so much running Mary Louise spoke breathlessly.

"looks like I finally got you"

"finally", Nora said and inched closer to Mary Louise. Mary Louise's eyes softened. She smiled. This beautiful bond she had with Nora would enchant her from time to time, even though they were just friends. Nora stood on her tiptoes and brought her face closer to Mary Louise's ears and whispered, "even if I run off, if you're meant to come back to me, you will"

"no doubt, m'lady"

Back to present day

Y/n's pov:-

I blinked my eyes open and looked at the alarm clock. 3:30 a.m. Pointlessly, I grabbed my phone.

After a few minutes a received a text from Millie.

milliebobbybrown: can't sleep too?
y/n_l/n: yeah. and I can clearly see you're awake too. so what's up?
milliebobbybrown: it's just...so much shit in my life
y/n_l/n: I'm here for you Millie. whenever you need me.
milliebobbybrown: thanks.
y/n_l/n: now tell me.
milliebobbybrown: my stepdad...he's drunk
y/n_l/n: oh..
milliebobbybrown: hes drunk... everyday.
y/n_l/n: oh god...and?
milliebobbybrown: actually....could I see you? like in real life?
y/n_l/n: i meant it when I said I'm here for you, so sure. where do we meet?
milliebobbybrown: don't bother, just stay put in your room and keep the window open.
y/n_l/n: alright.

I quickly jumped off bed and locked my door. I opened the window but kept the curtains pulled. Jumping back under the blanket, I closed my eyes and waited for Millie to come.

After a few minutes I saw a silhouette against the curtain and sure enough, Millie Bobby Brown entered.

"hey, come here", I said to her, opening my arms.

"yeah", she said shakily, sniffling.  she must have been really hurt because she looked so tired.

She stared at me and my open arms for a while then jumped into my embrace, sobbing. I pulled the blanket over us. Her head rested on my chest and her whole body racked with pained sobs. her hand covered her mouth so that she didn't make a noise.

it hurt me so much to see her like this. My hands pulled her closer to me and then stroked her hair. I breathed in the scent of her shampoo. Tropical.

I slowly put my hand on her face to lift it up. She slowly lifted it up. her face was stained with tears and there were several gashes and bruises. I lightly run my finger along one of her bruises.

"what happened, Millie?", I asked her, concerned. She sniffed and then swallowed hard.

"my stepdad", she started and was still crying. "he abused me"

"but why?", I asked her, tearing up myself because it was so hard to see her sad.

"I don't know", she said, looking down. I placed my hand on her shoulder and she winced. I immediately removed it.