Chapter 3

Four years ago.

It was a rainy day when she literally ran into him in the lift.

She was on her way up to the sixth floor to get to HR for an interview. They had advertised for a temp receptionist at the front desk of an hotel downtown. One of many in a large chain of hotels all over the US, as well as in some countries around the globe.

Fresh out of Uni with a PhD in Journalism, she had applied for the position, hoping she would be considered. She needed the job for her resume. And she needed a paycheck until she could land herself a job at a magazine or newsroom..

She had run into the ground floor lift as it was closing. Cana had just a few minutes to spare to get to her appointment. 

He had the same idea. 

They collided in the doorway. She flew back from the impact. He reached out to grab her before she hit the ground, pulling her into his chest.

She who was never lost for words was speechless when she looked up to thank him.

Her pulse pounded in her ear.

His eyebrow quirked.

Then his eyes traveled up and down her body. She felt exposed somehow. Her body reacted to those all seeing eyes.

"Are you okay?"

His deep voice sent chills through her. His green eyes kept hers captive. She couldn't look away.

She had never met anyone quite like him before.

He stood well over six feet towering over her in her four inch high heels. She was five six without them.

She stared back at him, captivated, as he looked deeply into her eyes. She would never be the same again. Her intuition told her this man would be the yardstick by which she judged all men in the future.

He wouldn't remember her after this, but she would never forget him.

The lift jerked as it started up. She blinked, coming out of her daze. He was still holding onto her. She tried to pull away. He wouldn't let go.

"Stay still."

The order was issued in a voice that had gone gruff.

She stilled, then looked back up at him. His eyes were there waiting for her to fall back into. They were standing so close she could feel every imprint of his suit. Weakened by a wave of lust she moistened her lips with her tongue. He watched her with greedy eyes, almost voracious.

"Come with me..."

She couldn't remember how long she had been staring into his eyes. The lift had stopped. He almost lifted her off her feet as he dragged her out after him. He had her hand in a tight grip. She tried to pull her hand out of his, but he wouldn't let go.

He growled.

"Stop!"

That made her cease immediately. He turned to look back at her, his green eyes fierce.

"I'm not letting you go. Not now that I've finally found you."

"What? I don't know you.."

"Doesn't matter.. I know you.

He was right, but she wouldn't admit that.

She recognized him although she had never met him before today.

'How was that?,' she wondered.

The plush and elegant décor made her realize she was on the wrong floor. She grew more anxious as she took in her surroundings. He turned back to look at her. He must have sensed her anxiety.