Chapter 21

The beautiful redhead rose from the armchair she had been sitting on, when Cana followed Rad into his office. The office was situated in the administrative part of the building behind the reception desk. 

She started when she saw Cana. But that didn't stop her as she stood to strut over to peck him on the cheek. It was meant to be on his lips, but he turned his head in time to thwart her intention.

'Just as well he did, or he would have me to contend with.' Cana growled to herself.

Stepping away, he motioned her to sit as he went around behind his desk. Cana didn't take a seat, but followed him. She stood behind his chair to face his ex.

Petrina's eyes widened. For a second, she looked uncertain.

Cana watched as a curtain came down over her eyes. Her confidence reasserted itself.

"Why is she here?"

Petrina directed her question at Rad, with her eyes glued on Cana. There was a challenge there.

Before Rad could open his mouth, Cana's Fijian warrior spirit rose to the challenge.

"She is here because 'she' needs some answers. 'She' has been pushed around, lied to. 'She' wants to know why you're here? And 'she' wants to know what you hope to achieve here."

Cana came to the end of her tirade to complete silence.

Rad turned to stare at her with an unfathomable look. But behind that look, she thought she saw admiration. Emboldened, she looked back at Petrina.

And found her watching with a look that would have made a lesser person run.

The animosity in those China blue eyes made even Cana's fighting spirit quell.

Her old self would have run and hid.

But that was no longer the case here. She had changed.

She had redefined herself.

She stood her ground.

'She is no longer a threat.'

Cana repeated that to herself.

She prepared for a rebuttal.

Rad stayed silent. Watchful.

"Rad doesn't love you. He's just using you to get at me. To make me jealous, so I'd fall in line. He has always done that. You're a fool if you think he'd go for someone like you." Petrina sneered.

She smiled.

"He still loves me, you know. Don't deceive yourself. His silence speaks for itself. I pity you." She declared, magnanimous in her victory.

Cana wanted to slap that look off her face, but she stayed calm.

Rad had turned back to watch Petrina.

Cana waited for him to refute her declaration.

He didn't.

His eyes were still glued on Petrina.

'What is he thinking?' Cana wondered.

"Are you one hundred percent sure of that?" She goaded Petrina.

There was that flicker of uncertainty in Petrina's eyes again, before it was extinguished.

'Got you.' Cana thought with glee.

But she was becoming exasperated with the silent man seated before her.

'Why didn't he say something? Why isn't he defending me?'