Chapter 14

"I think I do understand. But I'm grateful you found the time to say goodbye before I left."

The words were spoken in a gruff tone of voice. It would have made someone else recoil, but as Cana breathed in shallowly, myriad emotions overtook her. Knowing her mothers penchant for hiding emotions, showing only her tough exterior, this was a breakthrough for her. For both of them.

After all these years.

After all this time. She had held out an olive branch.

She took a deep breath.

It was time.

This hatchet had to be buried. She took full advantage of the moment.

Cana stepped to her mother.

A grateful surprise dawned in her heart, as her mother rose from her seat in haste to meet her with her arms outstretched. The glint of tears in her eyes, caused tears to form in her own.

As she embraced her, Cana realized one thing. Her mother had become frail. She was no longer that raging witch she was before.

It broke her heart anew.

"I am so..so sorry.. Please forgive me... Please.."

The sob in her mothers voice broke the dam. Her tears could not be stemmed. With an overflowing heart, Cana heard her broken murmurs in her ear.

"Can you ever forgive me for all these lost years?"

It was healing.

A balm to her broken heart. Her heart soared to hear the much needed, much sought after words that she thought she'd never hear coming out of her mothers mouth.

"I can." She sobbed.

The cleansing flow of tears raged like a storm, then eased.

She felt Rad's hand on her back as he came to stand close behind her.

It soothed.

She was calmed by his presence. By his silent support.

Her heart full, she held her mother tight with one arm, while the other sought for him. He came to stand beside her to take her outstretched one in his. He raised it to his lips.

She felt the touch of his warm lips. Tingles coursed through her blood from that one spot where his mouth rested.

Her body stirred.

He released her hand.

As if he felt this was not the time.

She turned to bring him into the embrace. Closing her eyes, she held them for a few seconds. This was the group hug she had been aching for.

Especially with the two people she loved most in the world. Each in their own individual way.

She promised herself in that moment, she would strive from now on to never let anything get between them, ever again. If anything did, she would find a way to solve it amicably. With love on their side, they could overcome any issues that would arise. She would try to control the short fuse on her temper. Try to control her insecurities. Try to never allow them to run amok in creating divisions between them.

She released a heartfelt sigh.

Stepping away, she took the handkerchief Rad handed her.

"Well I'm going to leave you two lovely people.."

Striving for a cheerful note after that tense heart wrenching moment was hard.

But she managed to pull it off as her mother smiled back at her.