Chapter 20

"Serves him right."

She muttered under her breath, this time making sure no one heard her.

Samu peeled away from them, turning back to the bathroom door. Before she could ask questions, Rad had bundled her outside. There were other workers from the hotel outside, who came to help.

Rad pushed her towards them, then turned back to go inside.

"No, I'm coming with you." She yelled at him.

He came back to her.

"Go and wait at the hotel. I'll arrange things here and bring you something to wear. Please sweetheart." He entreated when he saw she was ready to protest. "I'll bring your stuff as soon as I make arrangements for your mother's body. I promise.

"But you're hurt. You need to see a doctor."

She wasn't leaving. She was going to fight.

"I will as soon as I organize things here. Okay? So please stop arguing. It's just delaying things. The sooner I can get things done, the faster I can come to you... and see a doctor."

He demolished her argument, before she could voice them again.

"Okay. But one thing you should know. I'm only giving you one hour, tops. Then I'm coming back here to haul your ass to the doctor. You hear?"

The shocked look he gave her was so worth it.

But one thing he didn't know, was that she was talking tough to hide the vulnerability she was feeling at this moment. That horrible feeling of insecurity.

She didn't want to lose him too!

Then he shocked her as well, when he placed his finger under her chin, to lift her face up to him. He kissed her lightly on the lips. When he pulled back, she saw the understanding in his eyes.

Then he whispered.

"You won't lose me, sweetheart, I promise."

His discernment of her feelings reassured her as nothing else could.

She meekly got on the truck with the crew that was returning to the hotel.

The area was full of fallen trees, branches, twisted roofing irons mixed in with boards and timbers. She saw some of the other villas with no roof and missing walls.

"Were there any casualties?"

She asked the lady sitting beside her in the back of the four wheeled drive truck. She vaguely remembered her being introduced as 'Sala'. She knew she worked at one of the restaurants, but hadn't taken the time to get to know her.

"Just a few cuts and bruises. No one died, thank God."

Cana drew back. Unwilling to admit even then, that someone had.

She let the moment pass.

There was damage and destruction outside the hotel, but the hotel itself, was untouched. The beach was littered with debris as they drove around the back of the hotel. A cleaning crew had started the clean up there.

She waved to them, recognizing a few of the hotel staff, who all waved back.

She was given a card to the penthouse suite located on the fifth floor. They all knew about her and Rad, so she was not surprised to be given preferential VIP treatment.