Chapter 19

There was a sudden rush as a dam overflowed in her.

It erupted through her eyes.

She choked. The keening voice sounded familiar. Needing to know to whom the voice belonged to, she came back.

Realization hit her like a ton of bricks

It was her!

She was the one making all that noise.

The agony that ripped through her and she doubled over.

Her mother was no longer.

She had left her alone.

Again.

Left her alone to bear this pain once more. Bear the pain of losing her love once again. She had always craved for her love. But, once again, she had taken it away.

Arms pulled her in.

Rad had a hold of her.

His voice sounded choked as he rocked her with soothing words. She couldn't remember how she had crawled into his lap. She must have hurt him, but he didn't show it, nor tried to move her.

She couldn't have moved, even if her life depended on it.

The scalding tears couldn't be stemmed. She wiped her nose to try to stop the snot from going on him, but it was a losing battle.

She was an ugly crier, period.

'I guess I must look a fright to him. He may very well fall out of love with me after this.'

That thought was in that part of her mind that wasn't wholly taken up with grief. She decided she was a vain person, if she could think about that, at a time like this.

'I am a woman.'

She thought in amused detachment. 'I multitask.'

Then her thoughts centered again on her mother who was probably looking down at her, shaking her head. She would probably say,

"Get a grip, girl. You're making a scene."

At that thought, she started laughing.

It was hilarious.

The tears ran down her face, as her shoulders shook with laughter.

She was spinning.

Out of control.

But it was so funny.

'

Is this what being hysterical feels like?'

The dim thought persisted.

She couldn't stop laughing.

Just as that thought entered her mind, there was a sharp sting to her cheek which jolted her.

Grabbing her cheek, she looked at Rad, shocked. She didn't feel like laughing now.

Her cheek smarted, the shaky feeling in her stomach was gone.

"What the eff...?"

She went to speak again, but stopped at the look in his eyes.

He was gazing at her with sadness.

Worry was etched deep in his forehead.

"You were hysterical." He stated bluntly.

"I had to slap you. I'm sorry, darling."

Contrite, he pulled her back into his good side, then subsided back against the wall he had been leaning against when she stumbled upon him.

"Eff you." Her voice was mild.