Chapter 17

"What are you thinking?"

He cupped her cheek in the palm of his hand. He smiled, but his eyes looked puzzled.

'Must be wondering what's keeping me quiet.'

She smiled back up at him as he raised himself to lean over her.

"Nothing much. Just that I love you so much."

His eyes changed to the deep green of the ocean as his features relaxed into a loving smile.

Friday was spent putting up shutters on their own place after Cana got back from work. There were intermittent bulletins on weather updates as they came in. Winston was still lurking in Fiji waters, intensifying further into a Category 5.

The initial effects of the cyclone were felt by that afternoon. It had been raining throughout the day, then the winds started up.

"Darling, I'm going to the hotel to check on things there."

Rad called to her as she went into the kitchen to cook something for their evening meal. Her mother was in the lounge glued to the TV. She was watching news coming in from other areas of the island, from the outer islands as well.

'Please don't stay long. When this thing hits, it will be dangerous to be out and about. Roofing iron and debris will be flying. It can kill you, so please, be careful. And, hurry home."

He came to kiss her as she was speaking, shutting up her frantic rambling.

"Sweetheart, I'll be back before you know it. Stop fretting. Okay."

She wasn't reassured.

It didn't make her feel better, just made her feel he was patronizing her.

"No, it is not."

She was mad at him for no reason at all.

'Why am I am feeling jittery? Is it a warning?'

Dismissing the thought immediately it entered her mind, she calmed herself enough to speak without ire.

"I'm sorry, hon. Just hate cyclones."

He put an arm around her, then soothed her with a kiss.

She felt the loss of his warmth when he let her go.

Stepping away he turned to leave, throwing over his shoulder.

"Thirty minutes, tops, babe. Later, gator."

His teasing last words lingered as he exited through the back door.

Were those going to be the last words from him?

'

Shit, Stop being a pessimist, Cana. You're being paranoid.' She scolded herself.

Thirty minutes later, he still hadn't returned.

She had the chicken in the oven. She was making a roast chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy and a vegetable salad.

'And maybe ice-cream and fruit salad for dessert.'

Well, that was the only thing keeping her sane as the sound of the wind beat against the shutters. She grew worried when Rad hadn't returned when the sudden gusts grew stronger.

'Where was he?'

She went into the lounge to check if he had come in and was with her mother in the lounge. She was alone when Cana walked in. Looking around the room, Cana then asked her mother.