Chapter 15

"Well?"

She glared at the both of them.

"Well what?"

Rad had the gall to test her resolve.

"Seriously?" She chose sarcasm. "You going to pretend you don't know what's happening?"

There was a twinkle way back in his eyes. He wasn't going to make it easy for her. She wanted to smack him, but his retaliation would make her late, so she turned her attention back to her mother.

Trying to be reasonable she began..

"Mom, this is a bad time to be here..."

She was trying to appeal to her mothers sense of preservation, but her mother interrupted, before she could finish her sentence.

"I chose to be here. You don't have to worry about me. So I will see you tonight after work.."

Clearly deeming the matter settled, she got up to wander off.

She left Cana feeling frustrated, and pissed off.

She glared at Rad.

He was to blame for all of this.

"What?" He was being an ass as well.

"Don't look at me. I had nothing to do with her decision."

He shrugged, unruffled.

"What she said.. It's her choice."

Standing up, he came around to her.

Putting his arm around her waist, he lifted her off her stool.

"Wait.. I'm not done..." She tried to protest.

But he wasn't listening.

"Now let's get you off to work before you blow a gasket."

He teased in a light tone as he steered her towards the front door.

'Fuck, he was going to pretend like this was no big deal.'

"Oh no. This is not going to happen. You're both not going to make me think I am crazy for trying to get her out of here. That I am not being reasonable about this."

She took a fire filled breath.

"Guess what? I am not going to be reasonable about it."

She took the bag he handed her, going on in the same vein.

"Clearly you both have lost your marbles. Am I being the only reasonable one here?"

He snapped her seat belt on., ignoring her. Then he walked around to the drivers side. She continued her rant as he started the engine. It turned over, then purred as he eased out of the driveway.

"Am I being unreasonable for wanting her to be safe while we battle through this cyclone?"

He stopped the car. Then he cruised to the side of the road to get out of the way of traffic. She turned to look at him.

She expected to see anger on his face. Instead there was a compassionate look deep in the depths of his eyes. It was mingled with his love for her.

"Babe, I know you feel it is your duty to keep her safe."

He stated in a gentle voice.

"But she is your mother. She thinks she has to be the protector. Try to understand that from her point of view, sweetheart."