Chapter 8

When she felt more settled, she glanced around to find Shannon's smiling eyes waiting for her from across the table.

She smiled, mouthed, "Hi."

To which he reciprocated with a smile. He mouthed back, "Hi.."

She felt Rad stiffen beside her.

Then he growled in her ear.

"Stop making eyes at him."

The angry, jealous tone in his voice made her aware she wasn't going to hear the end of it.

She hoped it wasn't going to be now.

That hope was in vain.

He stood up abruptly, causing all eyes to bear on them again. Without a word he pulled her up from her chair dragging her onto the dance floor. Cana felt like a puppet. Embarrassed, self conscious, angry, she didn't say a word until he had pulled her into his arms.

Then she erupted.

"What the hell's wrong with you?"

He really pissed her off. She let off steam by stomping on his foot. He winced, but didn't falter in his lead.

"I will not be made to feel guilty when all I was doing was being friendly. He is still my friend, remember that."

He frowned.

"No. You remember you're mine." He growled, his voice harsh.

"How can I forget when it's being shoved down my throat every time we're together." She fired back.

His frown disappeared as a grin quirked his lips. His moods were mercurial as she well knew.

"Yep. You should have it down pat by now. And stop stomping on my foot."

He grinned, then winced when she stomped on his foot for the second time that night. The grin stayed on his face even though she knew his foot must have been hurting from her high heels.

He exclaimed.

"Oh yes! my darling fiery love is back. I love it."

His voice was filled with glee, mirth spilling out of his eyes.

Spitting mad by this time, she took him by surprise when she pulled out of his arms, pirouetted, then stamped off the dance floor.

He grabbed her arm, pinning her in place.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry." He sounded contrite.

"Can we just enjoy tonight without fighting?"

The question halted the angry words hovering on her tongue.

Now she was just stupefied.

"What the eff?" She spluttered.

Then sarcasm came to her rescue.

"Maybe you should look to your house first."

Her anger at this stage was so hot that she couldn't stand to look at him.

"How dare he? His bloody jealousy started all of this."

She was muttering to herself as she turned to keep walking.

She could feel him following close behind. They could be in different corners of a room, nevertheless, she could sense where he was just by her awareness of him in the deep trembling of her limbs, the prickling on her skin.

"Okay, I concede that my jealousy gets the better of me. But who could blame me, hmm?"

Gripping her hand, he brought her to a halt. Then he leaned down to whisper in her ear. His breath against it made her shiver. Cana knew he felt her arousal by the deep in-drawn breath he took. Then she found herself flush against his front as he stepped behind her, making her aware of his aroused state.