Chapter 12

"What about, it'll give me peace of mind? We'll take my private jet. We can go wait it out in Australia with your mom."

She stared at him, speechless for a second.

"Seriously?"

He was serious!

The unfathomable look in his eyes didn't hide that fact from her.

"Well. How about you take my mother in your private jet and go hide?"

Sarcasm dripped off her tongue. She was aghast at his lack of compassion.

"I for one, am going to stay here and do my job during this cyclone and after."

She spoke bravely knowing it would be a mild cyclone. That helped her keep that resolve.

She registered the incredulity and anger in his eyes, before she got up to bolt into the bathroom. She caught sight of the time on her way. She only had thirty minutes to spare.

She would be late if she lingered any longer.

He was still sitting on the bed when she rushed out of the bathroom, grabbed her uniform to tug it over her head.

It took her a moment to understand his next question.

"What's going on with you?"

The agony in his voice was unmistakable.

"There's nothing going on with me."

She was resentful at his timing when she was in a rush.

"There is something going on. I will find out what it is, but I'm giving you the chance now to tell me." His demanding arrogance took her breath away.

"Look babe, I'm going to miss the bus. Can we talk about this later?"

She took the easy way out, acting the reasonable one.

"I am taking you to work."

The tone of his voice brooked no argument. She finished dressing, snagged her handbag from the table, then followed him out to the car. Taking the mug of coffee he handed her, which was lukewarm by this time, she took a sip under his watchful eye.

Starting the car he backed it out onto the road then drove in the direction of the hotel. She was blind to the beautiful scenery as she peeped at him from the peripheral of her vision, wondering at his mood.

"Now tell me,."

His adamant voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Tell you what?"

Puzzled, she looked at him full on, in time to meet his look of agonized rage.

He looked back to the road leaving her gazing at his gorgeous profile. But she had seen all the rage, the jealousy.

And the pain.

"I know you haven't been the same for a while now. Your mom has been with us going on to a month now. All that time she has been here, you've probably just spent a couple of hours here and there in her company. And mine."

Taking a deep breath, he held it for a couple of seconds, then expelled it.

"Are you seeing Shannon again?"

His voice was low, furious with pent up rage and jealousy. It also held a threatening note. Cana shivered at the menace she detected there.

But he had incensed her with his irrational thinking.