Summer (Chapter 8)

INT. LORELAI'S HOUSE. MID AFTERNOON

Lorelai and Emily are at the kitchen. There's a pizza over the table and Lorelai is putting some plates on the table for her and Emily.

Lorelai:

The room looks amazing mum! Your guys did an awesome job.

Emily:

I think Rory is gonna be thrilled when she sees it!

Each of them grab a slide of pizza. Lorelai gets some soda from the fridge and then sits.

Lorelai:

Yeah I think so too.

Lorelai smiles and Emily has a bite of pizza. She looks really surprised and pleased by the pizza.

Emily:

Oh god... I can't even remember when was the last time I ate pizza.

Lorelai:

I think Richard Nixon was the president!

Emily:

I know you're joking but I think it's not far from the truth. (She has another bite) Oh heaven... (she seems so pleased)

Lorelai:

Do you want me to leave you two alone?

Emily:

Don't be silly Lorelai. Now I get why you and Rory eat this a lot.

Lorelai has bite of pizza. She suddenly changes her expression. Emily notices this.

Emily:

Everything ok?

Lorelai:

Hey mum, can I ask you something? It's kind of personal.

Emily:

It's everything ok with Luke?

Lorelai:

How do you know...?

Emily:

(Interrupts) Well, judging by your face either is something about Rory or Luke! Rory is fine so...

Lorelai:

Really? Is it so obvious?

Emily:

What's wrong Lorelai?

Lorelai:

Mum, what did you do when dad had problems? You know? problems at his job or the financial kind? Did he let you help him? I know dad was very reserved with his things!

Emily:

Yes, he really was!

Lorelai:

But what did you do when you knew something was not good? How did you manage that?

Emily:

Is Luke in any trouble?

Lorelai:

No, no, no... (Stops eating and thinks for a second) I don't know. It's just, he's so closed with some things and I don't know what to do. He's been acting really strange lately.

Emily:

All marriages have crisis Lorelai. You know your father was an independent, strong and very proud man who loved to separate the different matters of his life. That's the way he was raised!