Chapter 12

"Bennett..!" You cried out, reaching your hand out as if you had some ability to pull him to you. A tear rolled down your cheek. You saw him land, falling limp. It seems he had fainted. Fear struck you before anger and rage did. You shook as your sword appeared in your hand. You glanced down at it, feeling your cold power rush to the edge of your blade.

You glided down, plunging onto the machine's weak point. You huffed as you landed, watching the ruin guard fall. You scooped up Bennett and took off to Mondstadt as it downpoured. Your mind was filled with absolute worry as you immediately went to the Adventurer's Guild, whom helped you fix Bennett up.

The time went by painfully slow. Your mind rushed with thoughts, but you just stayed there with Bennett. His breathing shallow, and you held his hand the entire time. You gently moved his hair out of his face. He seemed to be sleeping peacefully, but soon that moment turned into hours, and eventually, a few days.

You dozed off, not having left Bennett for long. You were lucky you were eating, considering how worried you were. You couldn't help but feel like it was your fault. You did get a bad feeling in your stomach, you probably should've spoken up about it. A thought popped up, 'What if Bennett never wakes up?' The memory hit you like a train.

You clenched your eyes shut as you began to break down. It had been quite some time since you actually managed to be in sobbing tears. It was almost painful. You curled up into a ball, memories of your childhood friend, who was killed by a Ruin Guard, your parents, killed by the Abyss. They were protecting you, since you were a helpless toddler. You sobbed, the memories painful.

You must've been curled up for quite some time, your body becoming tired of crying as you dozed off.

You only awoke because a hand touched you. But it didn't feel familiar. At all. And it felt almost dreamlike.