Part XV: The Lunch Date

I felt antsy Monday morning before meeting Tine for lunch. We hadn't seen one another since Sunday morning when we woke up together after confessing our feelings to each other the night before. But since then, I had gained insight into my relationship with Tine from Green: specifically, the importance of making Tine feel comfortable with and around me. I could no longer be aggressive or overly flirtatious; if I wanted our relationship to develop properly, I would have to use a nuanced approach. Tine would keep his guard up if I were too overbearing or possessive. If I were too flirty, he might think I was only interested in him physically. I needed to make sure my friendship with Tine was secured before we moved into the relationship phase.

When my Monday morning classes were over at noon, I rushed across campus. I had agreed to meet Tine outside of the Law Building once he was done with his morning classes, so I took a seat on one of the wooden benches near the Law Building entrance. I tapped my fingertips on the dark wood and obsessively checked the time on my watch and my phone. I fidgeted with my tie, double-checking my shirt for any stains or wrinkles. I patted my hair, praying it was as neat as it had been when I left my apartment that morning. With my stomach in knots and my feet tapping the cement walkway, I couldn't remember ever feeling so anxious to see Tine. Only five minutes had passed since I had left the Political Science Building, but time seemed to be at a standstill, even as I watched the campus buzz with students heading to lunch.

The trickle of people exiting buildings for the lunch break soon turned into streams of students and faculty members strolling past me. Waves of people began pouring out of the Law Building. I stood, hoping I would be able to see Tine. But even the most obvious, identifiable features – body types, heights, hair colors, and styles – were difficult to distinguish in the mass of white and blue uniforms. Dozens of bodies were shuffling by, and I doubted I could spot Tine within the crowd.

But suddenly and inexplicably, I saw him. I just seemed to know where to look. I had been staring at the main entrance, but my eyes shifted to the side doors for a millisecond, and that's when Tine walked out. I couldn't explain the feeling. I sensed him.

Then our eyes connected.

It was a surreal moment

It was a surreal moment. Tine hadn't been out of the building for more than a second or two, but when our eyes locked, time entirely stopped. My breath was caught in my lungs; my jaw dropped slightly as my face lost feeling. Admittedly, seeing Tine every day was a treat. Never before had just the sight of someone electrified my body and mind as the sight of Tine did. He had become a drug to me, and I was wholeheartedly addicted. The first sight of him every day was like a shot of adrenaline. 

But after having confessed his feelings for me only two days before, seeing Tine at that moment was overwhelming. My mind was spinning. I felt both heavy and weightless. The bolt of electricity that had just struck me pulsated through my veins. I saw Tine, this person I was in love with, in a different, brighter light. My prayers had been answered: I had Tine back in my life and he was romantically interested in me. I was convinced that nothing would ever feel as good as what I was feeling right then, watching the man I loved walking towards me.