Part XXVII: The Talk

I threw my phone on the passenger seat of my car and was about to put the key in the ignition when my phone began vibrating.

Mama!

"What's wrong? What happened?" she asked as soon as the call connected before I could say hello.

I tried to sound nonchalant. "Hey, Ma. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to come home and see you guys. Is that okay?"

"Oh honey," she replied slowly, "I'm not home."

"Oh." My shoulders slumped.

"I'm in Phuket. I thought I told you. I'm here until Wednesday. I could have sworn I told you."

Fuck! I rested my head on the steering wheel. She had messaged me Saturday or Sunday; I hadn't given her text a second thought.

"But," she declared with a sort of maternal urgency, "I'll catch a flight home tonight. I can be there in a few hours. Or better yet, I can just fly to you. I can get on a flight when I get to the airport."

The Mama's Boy in me was pleased: how great it would be for her to rush to save me. I wanted her to hold me, stroke my hair, and tell me everything would be okay. However, I felt terrible about pulling her away from her career for a non-emergency.

"It's okay, Ma," I replied. "I'm fine. It's okay."

She was quiet momentarily, then softly asked, "Are you really fine, honey? Tell me what's going on."

"I'm just a little homesick," I sighed.

"Aw, baby!" she cooed. "We miss you, too! Why don't you come home for the weekend? Your brother would love to see you. And so would your dad and I."

I smiled a little but kept my head down on the steering wheel. "Let me check my schedule," I said. "I think I have a game Saturday, but if it's late, maybe I can come Friday night."

"Great!" The urgency in her dissipated. "I can't wait to see you, honey!"

"Same," I said, unconsciously sighing again.

Her worried returned instantly. "Sarawat, what's going on? What's happening? You don't sound like yourself." She paused. "I'm worried about you."

"I'll be fine, Ma," I promised. I wanted to calm her quickly. "I just wanted to hear your voice and see you," I insisted. "But I'll see you this weekend. Don't worry; I'm okay!"

"Okay, honey," she replied. "I trust you."

"Thanks, Ma."

"But," she said, "please call your dad or brother... for me." Her voice was tense again. "They'd love to hear your voice... and maybe... you know... you can talk to them about whatever."

I was about to agree to her suggestion, but a light tapping on my window startled me. My head shot up from the steering wheel. I gasped when I saw Tine looking at me from the other side of the glass, a small smile on his face.

"Ma, I gotta run," I exclaimed.

"Oh? Are you sure?"

"I love you!" I exclaimed. "I'll text you tonight!"

My urgency to end the conversation unnerved her. "Are you sure you will? Promise?"

"Ma, I'll be fine! I love you!"

"Love you always," she replied.

I disconnected the call and rushed to open the door. Not realizing my seatbelt was still fastened, I tried to stand and was embarrassingly snatched back into my seat. "Fuck!" I hissed, unlocking myself. I bolted out of the car and closed the door behind me.