Chapter 6 - Miko Iino wants to dance

"Even though I saw this coming, I didn't necessarily believe that I was going to be the one getting asked, even if I wanted it to happen." Ishigami thought.

"I do have a question, Iino." Ishigami said curiously.

This surprises Miko, and her expression changes instantly. She turns her head up and puts her hand down.

"...What's that?" Miko asked.

"Why do you want me to dance with you?" Ishigami asked.

She nervously tries to think of a reason.

"You asked me first during the exchange event, so I thought I would have to return the favor." Miko said.

"Is that the actual reason? Or just an excuse?" Ishigami asked.

"What makes you think it's an excuse?" Miko replied.

"Well, for these past few weeks you've been nicer to me lately. First, you started helping me with my work in class, at times you were even pretty considerate and kind in class, such as when you told me to go to the student council room together. We also had more conversations and were generally more comfortable. Then the holding hands thing and you making me hug you...then the lap pillow...In general we have interacted much more, and we've done things that would be unspeakable multiple months ago. Personally, I'm getting used to it, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it."

Miko smiles and blushes...

"I'm guessing you're finally recognizing people's feelings for once." Ishigami said.

"Why do you think that is, Ishigami?"

"I'm...not sure. I'm not sure why you're asking me to dance either, and I don't think the reason you gave me is the full story."

Miko thinks about what Shirogane said to her earlier. She then smiles.

"...I've noticed, Ishigami. That me and you are really similar. I think Osaragi said something about it multiple times awhile ago, but at that time, I didn't really care about that. However, it still lingered in my mind."

"Similarities? Such as?" Ishigami said confusingly.

"I'm a loner. I've always been isolated, always been left alone because I've had differing ideals from anyone else. I've always been misunderstood just because I've been different from the rest. It's obvious that people didn't like me, or cared for me." Miko said.

"Though, Iino. Even if all of that happened, that must have been caused by something right? The people who ostracized you aren't right at all, and you just did what you thought was right. That's admirable. But, maybe all of that wouldn't have happened if you weren't so authoritarian." Ishigami replied.

"I fully realize that now, at least."

"I can see that. Is that why you're being nice to me? Because you'll use me as practice for your change in persona?"

"Huh? What's with that conclusion? Besides, I don't think I've changed, though. I think my circumstances just changed."

"That includes you, Ishigami."

"No, you've definitely changed. Your circumstances, and by extension me, changed only because you've also changed. I've never actually hated you, no matter how annoying you were."

"Is that so?" Miko smiles again.

"Even then, I do think we're similar. I noticed and compared us two, and realized that we were more similar than we thought. This was one of the reasons that made me ease up to you a bit."