Holding Hands

Naruto's POV

Team 7 is on a mission, and we are walking to our first camp spot right now. Me and Sasuke are in the back, and Sakura and Kakashi Sensei are in the front.

I'm glad we are using this formation today. If we were using any other formation I wouldn't be alone with Sasuke. But like this, me and Sasuke get to be next to each other, and Sakura and Kakashi Sensei can't see us.

It had been about two hours since we had left the village. This mission is all the way on the other side of the Land of Fire, so it would take us a couple of days to get there.

We could, of course, be running or something, but it's not an urgent mission, so we're just walking. Tonight we would set up camp in some hidden spot.

So... I have a plan. A plan to make a move on Sasuke. I like him. Like, like-like. And kind of a lot too. I don't know if he feels the same, or would even consider giving me a chance. I mean, he has all those girls going after him, why would he want me?

But anyway, I plan on trying to hold his hand while we walk. If he lets me hold his hand for a while, then I'll tell him my feelings tonight at our camp. I think it sounds like a good plan.

We continue walking for a while, and I inch closer and closer to Sasuke. I move very slowly, moving an inch closer like every 5 minutes. I don't want him to realize until I'm right next to him.

Now, we're so close we're almost touching. My heart starts beating faster as I imagine just grabbing onto his hand. This is it. Now or never.

I move my hand closer, and the outsides of our fingers brush together. This sends little tingles inside my hand up my arms.

Just do it. Just... move... a bit... closer...

I jerk my hand to the side, and intertwine my fingers with Sasuke's. And yes, not just grab his hand but lace our fingers together, one on top of the other.

My breath catches, my heart rate continues speeding up, and my face reddens. I take a deep breath in my nose, and look over at Sasuke.

Sasuke's jaw is clenched, and his face is red. He's looking straight ahead. I think that's an embarrassed face. But it also looks... angry.

Maybe he doesn't want to hold hands. My face fell, and I let go. I make my hands into fists, and shove them in my pockets. Oh well. At least I tried.

Then, all of a sudden, Sasuke pulls my arm out of my pocket and slips his hand into mine again.

My face erupts again, and I give him a confused look.

"Sasuke?..." I ask quietly. He looked mad that I was holding his hand. Why would he take it back?

"Dobe. Why are you looking at me like that?" Sasuke asks, looking at me.

"Because I thought... I thought that you were mad at me for holding your hand..." I trail off, looking at the ground. Sasuke's hand is pretty soft. Hm.

"Why would I take your hand back if I was angry?" He moves his hand slightly, as if to remind me we're still holding hands. I wouldn't forget Sasuke! I know we're holding hands!!

"When I took your hand your face looked mad. Your teeth were clenched and you just looked embarrassed, not... happy or anything." I'm so glad Kakashi Sensei and Sakura are having their own conversation.

"I was kinda mad actually. I was planning on doing the same thing you did, but you beat me to it. That, and I didn't expect you to do that."

"W-Wait. You were going to do the same thing?" I exclaim, surprised.