Chapter Four

Sun streamed in through the window, illuminating my desk and partially blinding my left eye from how bright it was. I scribbled away on my slate, the sound of the chalk scratching across the surface joining everyone else. Dust from the chalk swirled up into the air and lingered in the sunbeam, catching my attention until it settled and I had to return to my mathematics problems.

It had been just over a week since Grandfather died and I still expected him to walk through the door back home, even though I knew he wouldn't. My concentration had started to falter and I found myself struggling to complete even the basic tasks during the school day, even listening had become a struggle. No matter how hard I tried to focus, my mind always drifted elsewhere.

I glanced over to the clock that ticked away on the wall. With very little time in the day, I hastily scribbled down some answers to the questions seconds before Miss Reid bought the school day to an end.

"Please hold up your slates so I can check your work," she said.

Everyone held up their slates and I watched her eyes move from board to board. Every now and then, she would furrow her eyebrows, no doubt trying to decipher someone's handwriting, before nodding her head. Miss Reid paused at mine a little longer than everyone else's, but I tried not to think anything of it. Once she had read everyone's slates, she nodded to us as a signal that we could put them down.

"Very good work. We may go over some of the problems you have struggled with at a later date, but very well done class." A loud bell rang out. "You may go. Miss Ealing, please stay."

"Yes, Miss Reid," I said. I wiped my slate clean with the cloth and wrapped up my pieces of chalk. After placing my books on top of the slate to place into my satchel later.

"I was sorry to hear about your grandfather, Isabel. The sinking was such a shock to everyone, but I can't imagine how it feels to lose someone you were so close to." Miss Reid wiped off the last of the mathematics problems from the board.

"Thank you."

She put the board wiper down. "What I don't want you to do is lose your focus because of this. You're a smart girl with so much potential and I know you can go far in a world that has yet to show young ladies much favour. Do you understand what I mean?"

"I think so."

"Good. I am sure your grandfather would be proud of you for not letting such a senseless tragedy get in the way of your ambitions." She paused. "Is there any profession, in particular, you've been looking into?"

"Not really, Miss Reid. I haven't really thought about it."

"Well take some time and think it through, when you have an answer, let me know." She smiled. "You're dismissed."

I nodded and gathered up my slate and books, my footsteps echoing across the wooden floor as I crossed to the coatroom. Miss Reid's heels slapped against the floor as she moved around to clean up any mess left behind by the students. Everyone else had already left so I hurried to pack my things away, grabbing my hat from the peg and jamming it on my head. I threw my satchel over my shoulder and hurried out of the classroom.

The other girls in my class stood in groups around the school gate, chatting to one another and sharing stories about what they planned to get up to for the remainder of the day. I smiled and muttered a goodbye to a few of them before hurrying away from school with my bag slapping against my hip.

People moved throughout the city, with schoolboys running down the road screaming and adults peering into shop windows and chatting aimlessly about the nice weather. I moved around people, dodged the younger boys swinging their satchels around in hopes of smacking someone with them, and moved further into the city. With Father working until later that evening, I had to find a way to amuse myself until he finished.