Chapter Eight

We were the first ones to arrive at the office for the will reading.

Rather than go in straight away, Mother decided it would be best we stood outside until Father appeared, or someone else. Word had been sent to all those who may have ended up part of the will, but it only extended to Aunt Charlotte, Uncle Zachariah, Grandmother and Aunt Matilda. Mother still didn't think the latter two were even going to be in the will, but I suppose it would have been rude if they weren't invited - not that they would deserve any courtesy given the information Mother had provided me about them.

Standing outside the office, I considered telling Mother what had happened at school and following Miss Reid's advice. Just like before, the words became stuck in my throat and I couldn't get them out the way I wanted to so I just stayed quiet. I leant against the fence in front of the office and stared out across the London streets at everyone going on with their day. How many of them had been affected by the sinking?

How many of them were struggling to keep it together?

Father arrived not long after, looking a little dishevelled. His sleeves were still rolled up to his elbows and his hair stuck up at strange angles, a sign he had repeatedly run his hand through it. When he pulled his sleeves down, I could see a dark spot on the cuff of his right arm but I didn't comment on it. Even with an apron and by pushing his sleeves up, he somehow ended up with all manner of things on his clothes.

"Do you think he left Mother in it?" Uncle Zachariah said when he turned up. We were just waiting for Aunt Charlotte.

"I don't know, I wouldn't think so," Father said.

"Hm, I thought the same. She seems to think he has, though. I saw her the other day and she was asking questions about the will and appeared to be of the impression that he hadn't altered it in twenty-four years. I don't think she was happy when I told her you knew more about it than I did."

"That explains why she mentioned it yesterday."

"It explains her motivation for turning up here, it had nothing to do with Father and everything to do with how much money she might gain from it."

"No surprise there, I heard she lost all the money he gave her when they went their separate ways. She's been up north with Aunt Sybil ever since."

The conversation came to a grinding halt when Aunt Charlotte arrived with Uncle Jasper in tow. I happened to be the only child who had been brought to the office but I thought that was more of a matter of convenience than anyone wanting me there. Had this happened at any other time I would have been left behind and forced to wait for the outcome on my own. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that the announcement came when I had been finishing up at school because it meant they had no choice but let me stay. Or at least I hoped they would.

Although a low conversation started up again with Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Jasper, all talk about the will stopped the moment Grandmother appeared. It looked like she had changed the moment she had received the news, almost like she had decided to play the role of the grieving widow. Aunt Matilda appeared to be following her every move and they both wore similar black dresses with rather large hats. It looked too hysterical to be believable.

Uncle Zachariah did make a valid point. Neither Grandmother nor Aunt Matilda had been seen in twenty-four years and yet they show up after Grandfather dies knowing they may be able to get their hands on his money. They had managed to make their motivation known, although I knew that everyone probably suspected them the moment they turned up. At least they had done us a favour by making their motives so overt.

"Are you bringing your daughter into an adult meeting?" Grandmother said.

"Considering how fast this happened, I don't think we have much choice," Father said, rolling his eyes a little.