Chapter Thirty-One

With the real copy of the will in hand, Father immediately went to find Marsh so he could get the car ready. Luckily, he had returned from taking Uncle Christopher into the city and had gone to the kitchen for tea, biscuits, and a place to stay before we needed to drive back to the city before seven. Father had him prepare the car for our journey and within five minutes of finding the will, we were on our way into London.

I sat at the back with my crutches resting on the floor, Mother beside me, and my left leg bouncing up and down with anxiety. Since everything had happened so fast, I hadn't even had the chance to change out of my school dress yet. We looked like a sorry sight with me in my uniform, Father with his sleeves pushed up to his elbows and his jacket missing, and Mother with hair pinned up in a loose bun that had started to spill spirals of hair down her back. I had to hope that the evidence we had would stand up since our appearance wouldn't.

The drive into the city felt like it took longer than usual. Eventually, the trees gave way to the brick buildings of the city, but we still had a little while to go until we reached Mr Greenway's office. Father looked at his watch on a regular basis and I could see him drumming his fingers on the side of the car. Everything relied on this visit to Mr Greenway's office and we had to pray we had enough to prove that the will had been fake.

When we reached the office, I climbed out of the car but hesitated on the front steps, unsure if Father really wanted me to go in there. He might have agreed to let me go with them to the office, but that didn't mean I would be allowed in as our case was put forward. He didn't let me in last time.

"Izzy? What's wrong?" Father asked when he saw me hesitating at the bottom step.

"Are you sure you want me to come with you? I mean, last time I wasn't allowed in the office and this feels like an adult meeting," I said.

"You're coming with us, Izzy. Without you, we never would have found the will and we never would have thought to check the signatures. You're the one who was so adamant about all of this and I think you have a right to follow it through the end."

"Your father's right. You'll be better at this than either of us."

"Alright." I nodded my head.

"Let's go."

I took a deep breath and followed Mother and Father up the concrete steps with my crutches. The palms of my hands felt sweaty against the wood of the crutch, but I tried to ignore it as best I could. My heart hammered away in my chest, the same way it had when I stood at the pond on Sunday, but I knew it was for a different reason. I didn't feel angry, all that anger had dissipated when I spoke to Father, instead the bubbles were made of fear.

Our future rested on my shoulders and whether or not I could convince Uncle Christopher's friend that we were right about the will. It all came down to me and how well I could put forward an argument that I hadn't even had the chance to practice yet. I would have to go in there with absolute certainty in what I was saying without any way for someone to find fault in what I had to see.

It all came down to me and I was terrified.

Father knocked at the front door and we stood on the top step and waited for it to open. A young woman opened the door and gestured us inside without so much as a word, she no doubt knew why there would be visitors on a Thursday evening. The hallway was basked in yellow light from the electric lights on the walls and some of the floorboards creaked underfoot. I could hear my heart thumping away in my chest and wondered if anyone else could hear it too.

"Ah, Robert. Have you come to return what is rightfully mine?" Grandmother asked when Father stepped through another door and into Mr Greenway's office.