Chapter Eleven

The next morning, I awoke to find my sewing work on the writing desk and a blanket draped over me. I must have fallen asleep when working since I still hadn't changed out of my school dress and it became wrinkled and dishevelled during the night. My empty bowl was long gone, having been taken by Mary whilst I was still awake but someone had put a glass of water on my nightstand, although I don't think I touched it during the night.

I kicked the blanket off my legs and stood up, pausing for a second to stretch my arms behind me and to flex my neck a little, it was stiff from the way I slept. I changed into a different school dress, leaving the wrinkled one in the laundry basket for Mrs Smith. My hair, which still had the ribbon in it, had become a bird's nest overnight so I tried my best to attack it with my brush. After trying to make myself a little more presentable for school, I stuff the handkerchief into my bag, swing it up on my shoulder and head downstairs.

Mary and Helen appear to be the only people moving around when I emerge from my room and head to the dining room. I drop my satchel by the front door and move into the dining room which is empty of people but there is a plate of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on the table. Steam rose from the plate and the mug of tea beside it. A white piece of paper sat in the centre of the table and when I sat down to eat my breakfast, I grabbed the paper and read through it.

Dear Isabel,

Your father received a telegram from the hospital and has been called into work urgently, I went with him since they are down a trained nurse. Marsh will take you to school as usual. You may return the things your uncle let you use and then Marsh is to drive you straight home since we will not be finished until late.

Also, we have discussed the matter of your overnight stay with your friend and have agreed that a night away from the house and the situation regarding your grandmother might do you some good. For that reason, we are giving you permission for the overnight stay. You may inform your friend at school today.

We'll see you later tonight.

Love,

Mother and Father x

I put the piece of paper back on the table and tucked into my breakfast, somewhat relieved that I didn't have to see Mother and Father until that evening. After what happened the night before, I needed a few more hours to get myself prepared for whatever they were going to say. In truth, I thought they weren't going to let me stay at Evelyn's, especially since Father threatened me with it the night before.

Still, once I had told Evelyn about it, there would be no going back even if I did lose my temper with them, although I didn't intend on that to happen. If the emergency at the hospital was so bad that they had to send a telegram and Mother had to go in as well, I hoped I could go all day without seeing them. That way, I wouldn't risk losing my temper towards them and I wouldn't have to face them after the way I behaved the previous night. That conversation would never be a good one, but I hoped I could put it off for as long as possible.

Mother was right though. A night away from the house without having to think about Grandmother or anything else going on felt like a great idea. I could clear my head, try and control the anger a little better and have one night where I didn't feel like I was on the edge of exploding. The beak would do all of us some good and I could use a break from Mother and Father too.

I finished breakfast and drank my tea, the entire thing a rather lonely and quiet affair with everyone else either out of the house or busy. After drinking my tea, which by that point had become luke-warm, I left the dining room and headed out into the hallway. Mary walked down the stairs just as I grabbed my satchel from the hallway and prepared to leave the house to meet Marsh outside. She smiled and I gave her a small wave.