Nightmare

A/N: Booette has a nightmare in the middle of the night and Luigi helps her go back to sleep.
__________________________________

Feeling the blankets slip off his body, Luigi stirred awake. A soft groan escaped him as a slight chill touched his skin. Luigi's sky blue eyes blinked open and squinted in the darkness as he felt the blankets moving out of his reach. It was then that he realized that the blankets were being pulled instead.

Flipping over on his stomach, the plumber propped himself on his elbows as Booette's pulled the last bit of the covers off of him. Booette's face twitched while her reddish-violet eyes were still closed as she continued to dream.

"Booette?" Luigi called out to her in the dark room.

He received a soft grunt in response as the ghost girl twitched again, Booette's legs suddenly kicked the blankets off of her body and onto the floor. Luigi's brow furrowed, mind still a little groggy from being wrenched out of his sleep. He reached out, softly calling her name as he gently shook his roommate's shoulder. She inhaled sharply, her slightly taller frame flinched away from his touch as a distressed noise rumbled in ivoryette's throat. It didn't take long for the brunette to figure out that she was having a bad dream.

Luig scooted closer and quickly grabbed Booette before she inadvertently rolled to the floor in her sleep. She began to tremble in his arms, beads of sweat dotting her brow. He whispered softly in her ear, trying to coax the girl into the waking world as he ran his fingers through her snow white hair. It seem to work and she stirred awake, her loud gasp was muffled against his chest.

Booette whispered, voice laced with sleep, "L-Luigi? What's going on?"

She was a little disoriented as the ivoryette tried to figure out if she was either awake or still dreaming. Booette shook while her hands trembled as she curled her fingers into soft, chocolate brown hair. Pressing herself against Luigi's warm body, Booette huddled closer to him for warmth as she took deep, shaky breaths. Luigi brushed a strand of white hair off his friend's forehead before ruffling her hair.

"It's okay," he mumbled. "You were-a having a bad dream."

"Oh."

The nightmares weren't uncommon. There have been some rough nights in the past where Booette woke up in a cold sweat and screamed her head off. The plumber would always be there to calm her down and he never pressed the ghost girl for details. If Booette wanted to talk, she'd tell him when she felt like it. Luigi rubbed circles into her back, the soothing motion helped relax Booette's erratic heartbeat. Yawning softly, Booette rubbed the sleep from her tired eyes as she glanced around the room.

"W-Where's the blanket?"

Luigi smiled, a warm puff of air hit her cheek as he chuckled softly.

"You kicked it to the-a floor. Hold on."

He let go of the ivoryette as he rolled to the other side of the bed. Hopping up, Luigi almost fell back down when he stood up just a little too quickly. He circled around to Booette's side of the bed and picked the blanket up off the floor. She rolled onto her back then relaxed her head against the pillow as the brunette threw the sheet over her. Tucking Booette back in, he pulled the blanket up to her chin before he sat beside her, the mattress dipping from his weight. Booette softly hummed as she nestled further into the sheets, eyes heavy with sleep.

"Thank you," she murmured.

Luigi smiled softly as he leaned forward and ruffled her hair again.

"Look at-a you, all-a snug as a bug in a rug."

She smiled in response to the joke, his fingers brushing against Booette's cheek as he gazed down at her.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

She nodded, one of her hands found his own and laced their fingers together before squeezing his hand tightly. "Y-Yeah, I'm alright. Just... please don't leave me."

Luigi rubbed his thumb against her cheek, the hand that was interlocked with hers squeezed back just as tight.

"I'm not going anywhere, Booette. I'm-a staying right here."