Canto Bight

Canto Bight hadn't changed at all.

He'd walked the casino floor in a daze, drowning in deja vu, surrounded by sounds and sights and people that merged with his memories until he wasn't sure where the past stopped and the present began.

He'd not sought it out, so Finn was sure it must have been his unconscious that had led him here, the same balcony he and Rose had stood on years before, where they had shared a moment of peace in the midst of an adventure. He wandered to the guardrail to look out at the racetrack and the town beyond, pools of light dotted among the villas, boutiques and restaurants, as the last embers of sunset faded behind the surrounding hills. What would she make of it now? Still beautiful, still lousy.

Whether there was peace or war, someone was making money and they wanted to show it off in Canto Bight. Even the fashions hadn't changed, the huge variety of species homogenized by elegant black and white formal-wear. If you had the money, you were welcome, wherever you were from. He pulled at the collar of his tuxedo which projected up stiffly behind his head; was it centered correctly? And and was this really the fashion? He'd not seen anyone else wearing the same style. He had to smile as he remembered his previous visit, he and Rose invading the place in combat fatigues and jumpsuit, and wondered how they'd managed to even get in the door.

Finn turned to look at the casino floor. The ridiculous shows of affluence certainly hadn't changed. Something large and insect-like looked around slowly, the drool from its mouth caught by two nervous boys with golden cups. A woman, eyes hidden by a veil and dressed in an elaborate black gown, moved at a funeral pace, preceded by two delicate looking creatures that scattered white petals in her path, followed by two girls that raised the long black train of her dress above the polished stone floor. Absurd.

Canto Bight hadn't changed and nor had he. Both stuck in time.

Poe had the academy and his adoring/horny students. Rose was building a religion. And Rey had just been voted "Most Awesome Being in the Galaxy" again; he'd seen the news reports before he'd left the suite. She could thank the Council's media and marketing team for that.

Why hadn't things worked out for him? For a while, he'd felt his life was being directed by the Force, giving it purpose. It had taken him to Rey and the Rebellion, and put him at the heart of historic, pivotal events, but now he was increasingly unsure. Maybe it had all been blind chance, and he had just wanted to believe in destiny. Their shared destiny. Whatever, it was time to take back control.

His phone rang. Incoming: BOOTICOLL

What better place to talk to Rose? Being here at the scene of their shared experience gave him a feeling it would go well, so he approved the call, privacy options on - she didn't need to know he was on Cantonica, the place being full of negative memories for her.

"Hi Finn!" Rose's holo burst into life. She looked good - a new haircut and wearing something expensive looking. No more jumpsuits for her.

"Hey Rose." Perhaps he'd been worrying unnecessarily about this call. He just had to catch her at the right time. "Sorry I've not called for a while. How's it going?"

"Ehh. Busy, you know. Work, work, work. So many personal appearances. All of these cults and churches want me to come and give my blessing. What can I do?"

"Charge them through the nose?"

"Oh Finn," she laughed. "Exactly. You know me so well."

"Girl's got to make a living. It's a whole new galaxy," Finn smiled. The trick to having a reasonable conversation with Rose was all in picking the right time and place.

"You've been away for too long," she sighed. "Where are you? When are you getting back? I miss you."

"Yeah, sorry. I'm still on that mission for the Council."