Ghosts - 2

She was wearing her old scavenger's rags, standing in the main cabin, watching the panel and its list of names of worlds scroll by.

...

Malastare

...

Darkknell

...

She needed to choose one fast, before it appeared. It was coming. The place she had never escaped.

...

Eriadu

...

Triton

...

Choose one. Now. Just say the word.

...

Shumavar

...

Atrivis

...

Now! Say one, any one!

She tried, but no sound came from her lips.

...

Bespin

...

Rutan

...

She was frozen to the spot, unable to speak, unable to run.

The list stopped scrolling. It had reached the end.

Exegol

The word flashed, selected though she had never spoken its name and the walls of the craft displayed the vista. The sight surrounded her, wrapping her in a terror that she had never truly left behind. The Sith Citadel towered into the gloom above, a crushing presence filling the sky with dark, pitted stone abused into shape by unnatural powers, hung in space by forces commanded only by those that had devoted their lives to the blackest parts of the soul. It waited, poised to crush her like an ant if she was foolish enough to continue on the path ahead and venture under its vast black boot.

It had taken all of her courage that day to keep moving, walking forward into that unnatural space. She'd felt so vulnerable, so alone again. Was it easier or harder now, knowing what lay beyond? The halls in their hideous decaying grandeur. Him.

To her right, a cackle. She turned away from the screens to look. The corridor was shrouded in shadows too dark to see into, but she knew what lurked there. She had hoped against reason that he was gone forever after that day, but she was stupid. Death hadn't stopped him before, and it never would. He had never stopped searching for her and now he had found her, the last of his bloodline.

Something awful dragged itself closer and somehow, from somewhere, she found the strength to tear her feet away from the floor, and run.

She ran through the corridors of the shuttle, its panels of luxurious wood rotting, its inlays and decorations of polished precious metal corroded. The lights flickering and broken, abandoning it to half darkness. She could hear the terrible mocking laughter behind her, following, closer now despite her desperate flight. Don't look around.

She ran aimlessly without knowing where or how she could escape, for there could be no safety when evil was allowed by good people to survive, nurse its wounds and grow strong again. The corridors she hurtled through grew darker and dirtier, the floor of polished stone broken and uneven, and though she fled faster and faster, he grew closer, the sound of his rasping breath louder. Don't look back.