Enthusiasm

When the next day came, Oga waited for the other shoe to drop. He waited to be interrupted mid lesson, called to the office and fired; his name forever marred, never to find a living in music again. Yet, nothing happened. Nor did anything happen the following day. Nor the next, nor the next.

However, when Wednesday of the following week rolled around, Mr. Oga grew nervous with every minute that ticked by getting closer and closer to three in the afternoon. "Yes, that's great. We'd better wrap up a little earlier today. The weather report said it was going to rain."

"Thank you sensei! I'll see you next week!"

"She's very sweet, isn't she? Very cheerful and kind."

Oga held his smile and wave long enough until the female student rounded the corner. "You. In my office. Now."

"Yessir!"

Furuichi had a moment to register the door closing before being shoved against the wall. "Mr. Oga! I'm all for this type of enthusiasm!"

"Just shut up and let me talk. What game are you playing at here?"

Furuichi's shit eating grin morphed into a sneer and eye roll. "Tch. Why can't you just let things go as they do?"

"I'm not playing with you, Furuichi."

"Clearly," Furuichi huffed, "put me down."

Oga obliged but followed the young man, close to his heels. "I've been in love with you since I was twelve, alright?"

"What?" Oga recoiled more from Furuichi's sudden whirling around than from the information, but saw the flash of hurt in doe brown eyes. The silvernette continued, but looked away. "I had a friend that used to come to this conservatory and one day I came to cheer them on during one of their recitals. You happened to play part of your senior recital piece that night for the audience. At first, I was in love with the way you looked. Handsome and rugged next to everyone else. But then I came up to you to sign my program," Furuichi peeked to see if the brunet was still listening.

"You said that you had never seen such gorgeous hair. And that you hoped to see me around the conservatory more often. I signed up for lessons the next day."

Mr. Oga could almost remember every detail about that night now. No one had come up to him in all his years of playing music, Oga's mother claiming that his face looked too serious. Except that night, someone did come up to Oga, an awkward tween trying to grow out his silver hair.

"At that time, I'd always get bullied for the color. I tried to dye it many times, but the dye would wash right out. No one ever said my hair was gorgeous before."

"Yeah. I remember you."

A blush jumped to Furuichi's cheeks, but the silvernette still hadn't looked up. Oga went to kneel in front of Furuichi then pushed up the teen's head gently by the chin.

"Do you actually like playing piano?"

"...Well, yes. As a hobby. I don't like competing. I'm actually studying civil engineering."

Oga chuckled and Furuichi smiled despite himself.

"Listen, you know I clock out by four. How about we do this properly?"

Furuichi's face lit up instantly.

"You won't regret this! I'm super bendy!"

Oga smiled crookedly and kissed Furuichi on the top of his silver head.

I was actually talking about a coffee date, but I guess that's alright. We have all the time in the world anyway, Furuichi Takayuki.