Chapter 2

"Wow, am I crazy or am I seeing you smile like an idiot over there." said Maya, my co-worker. Also the 'manager' of the convenience store, as by her claim.

I gave her a roll in the eyes before continuing to arrange Colas inside its designated fridge. Cases of the brand came five minutes ago, and I'll be expecting more batches tomorrow. 

"No, seriously. You're smiling!" Maya continued her observation from the counter. I can see her confusion through the reflective glass doors of the fridges. And there I saw a small curl on my lips, proving her right.

My eyes widened at my reflection. It scared me. I swear, it was involuntary!

"No, I'm not." I denied, quickly putting up a straight face. What the heck is wrong with me? Why was I smiling?

I joined her at the counter to rearrange the open display of assorted chocolates and snacks. I bit the inside of my cheek as I casually flash her an innocent glance to kill the suspicion she has for me.

"Tss. That's odd of you to smile randomly," Her tease began with her inwardly pushing her jaw, revealing her triple tier chin. "Tell me, who were you thinking?" she chewed her gum, loudly.

I hid myself under the racks, away from her view, pretending to arrange the bottom most part of the shelf. I silently scold myself before answering. "Who? Can it be a what?" I asked for my defense.

She laughed. "I'm not stupid, Nessa. That's not a 'what' smile. Your ears are even flapping like bird wings." she said, pulling her temple to properly apply her eyeliner.

My eyebrows furrowed. Is she a smile expert or something?

I stood and walked to her, passing behind her to get to the 'cooked foods' section near the counter. I ignored her chuckles for my obvious tensed shoulders. I could already taste the blood in my mouth from the continuous biting I did. All to not look obvious.

"I'm thinking about these chicken skewers, yum," I drooled over the glass casing of still warm chicken skewers we have for sale. "Hold on, two skewers are missing!"

"I ate them. They were good," she complimented, her playful smirk not leaving her. "I still don't believe you. Tell me! Who was it!"

"I'm serious! It's about these chicken skewers!" Our voices echoed inside the empty store. 

"You're such a bad liar. Your ears say otherwise." She pointed at my ears.

I immediately covered them. And they were warm.

Whenever I lie, my body is not cooperating! I don't want to tell her I was thinking about the band's guitarist that I just met yesterday. Knowing her, she would stalk him and eventually tell him. Wait, why do I care? I don't even like him. 

But somehow- SOMEHOW- I can't stop thinking about him. He just keeps on popping inside my head at the most random times. Or every damn time- but still! It's different. I still don't like him.