Chapter 1

It's a Monday afternoon, a great time to inhale fresh air after a day of tutor lessons. Dismissal came into an end an hour ago and I'm still here at the school's garden, eating my very late lunch and early dinner. While eating my soggy sandwich, I watched how the blazing sun began to set into the horizons. I can't describe the feeling. Witnessing such sight before I continue my day is like water, a need.

"I'm a genius! I knew I could find you here!" It was Bree's voice, a 9th grader who I'm tutoring in Math. Her loud footsteps echoed against the fertile grass.

I gave her a glance. "Bree, I'm not going to see your brother's band. I have work to do." I preceded her persuasion.

She kept nagging about the infamous band since the day I started tutoring her. As much as I want to see it for her to stop with the nag, my other part-time job is on the way. I don't have time... nor interest whatsoever anyway.

"No, killjoy! This is not about the Full Eclipse. My father wants to speak to you about your scholarship!" She said, giving me harsh tapping on the shoulder. 

My head swung to face her, eyes widened. "What about it?" I asked. She then flashed me a bright, excited smile and didn't say a word.

My heart quickened at the thought of the possibility I could pass the entrance examination for my college scholarship in New York. With the help of the principal, who is also Bree's father, I got to apply at my dream university. I swiftly gubbled the last bite of my sandwich before entering the principal's office.

"Sir, you wanted to see me?" I spoke, not trying to sound too anxious.

The principal turned his swivel chair around as he was gathering books from the bookshelf behind his desk. His round glasses were falling from the tip of his nose and his hair wasn't combed at all. It was typical of him. He isn't the principal many would imagine. And some students took advantage of that by paying him no respect.

"Ah, there you are. Please take a seat, Nessia." He welcomed me, finally pushing his glasses up.

I took a seat in front of his desk, and observed his cluttered space. Some of his papers flew to the floor due to the wind from his open window. Time seemed to slow down as I watch him type on his old-looking computer, the type to crash down when opening Word Doc. 

"I have good and bad news for you." He said, not meeting my gaze.

"Did I make it?" I asked, turning anxiously impatient.

"You passed the entrance exam!" He exclaimed, easing my worry.

A sigh of relief escaped me as soon as he said my acceptance in NYU. I found myself smiling at the news. I felt like jumping! But I kept my composure.

"Did I get the scholarship?" I asked. My anxiety returned when his smile faded at my question.