Chapter 16; Viratnagar

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

Expeditions were an undying necessity of the warrior blooded folk. Research was a pre requisite for any mission. No attack was ever strategised without knowledge of the strengths and most importantly, the weaknesses.

Both literally and metaphorically.

Walking through the burning streets of Viratnagar, the radiating sun was blinding my vision.

Or was it the unshed tears of separation?

I couldn't really tell.

Dreams are a vicious lot, aren't they? The little spectacles of your unconscious imagination, they give you a peaceful image to nurture. A life you desire. A golden state of excellence. Everything you desire, they provide you.

Only when you are fast drifted in the embrace of a long drowsy slumber.

A splash of cold water onto your sensitive receptors and they fly away as quickly as you had envisioned them.

Rudra was a dream, too good to be true. And his reality was the cold splash of water that had awoken me from my slumber.

A fool would be, who'd dream of a peaceful life amidst family conflict and animosity.

But love  denies alteration. Love denies change. In almost every sense, it denies practicality.

And yet, life has its own little minions called circumstances that bring the practicality into your blinded eyes. Now you have vision. You have light.

Ignorance is bliss they say. But what they don't know is that destruction caused by ignorance is termed as "self created".

And self created destruction is one of the most selfish acts ever to be committed. As it brings doom to all.

Love is a drug that I couldn't afford to inhale. There were higher stakes to pay.
And the highest was Indraprastha.

Beads of sweat dripped all over my forehead and the cotton sari stuck to my feet. Feet burning as the fire from the ground reached through the hard coating of the wooden footwear towards the tender skin of my feel.

Suddenly I felt a hand grab my wrist and pull me towards the side of the the street flooded with shops, big and small.

"Ever the daydreamer you still are, Vani."

Adjusting my eyes to the scorching heat and stabbing light, I squinted. Trying to figure out what exactly was happening. The voice felt familiar, irrevocably familiar. But the heat was my biggest enemy at the moment. Having walked for almost half the day, my receptors had problem functioning due to the exhaustion.