Chapter 8; Revelations

V R I N D A

V R I N D A

"Are you even listening to me, Vrinda?" I heard a voice which was
desperately trying to drag me out of my thoughts.
"I always listen to you, brother." I Said, looking directly at Abhimanyu. We were sitting on his bed, inside his personal chambers. I had been a little distant from him lately, due to the sudden dramatic turn of events in my life. Abhimanyu and I were inseparable and constant companions, never leaving each other's side, even for a minute. But due the championship and the latest revelation, I couldn't give that much time and attention to my brother and I somewhat felt a little guilty. So I just thought a little game of chausar with the boy, wouldn't hurt.

"I was saying, that's it's your turn to make a move!" He Said and realisation hit me hard. I looked down at the board and saw that he had already made his move.
"Oh of course. Abhi I must say, you're really good at this!" I Said, chuckling. He smiled.
"I am. All because of Uncle Krishna. He's a master of the art!" He replied.

Wasn't he the master of every art?

I nodded at his statement and rolled the die. I got two sixes.
"Aha! Get ready to loose, little brother!" I quipped happily, making my move.
"Firstly my dear sister, I'm not little anymore. And secondly, I never loose." He said, rolling the die and swiftly making his move.

"Check mate!" He said happily taking my king away.
"How did you do that!?" I questioned.
"The queen can move in any direction, Vrinda. She doesn't need to submit to rules. She's wild and free, just like you." He replied, smiling and looking at me intently.
"If only, that was true, brother." I replied. For a second I felt unpleasantness cloud over me.
"Why did you say that?" He questioned and I realised that I had let my mask slip away and Abhimanyu being quite the observer he was, noticed my true self.

"Nothing. It's okay, don't pay attention towards it." I replied, desperately trying to wear my mask back.
"Vrinda, I know that you've been hiding something from me. I've known that for a while now. I just want to know what is it, that you're trying to hide." He Said, looking directly in my eyes and comfortingly Holding my hand. I smiled.

It was true. Krishna and I had secretly decided that it would be for the best if Abhimanyu didn't know anything about the current drama in my life. He could be really protective of me sometimes. If he were to know the Kauravas' ulterior motives behind coming to Dwarka, he would slaughter them all, just at a mere thought of them hurting me. He was truly his father's son in this sense.

"You're right. It's nothing serious, though. I'm just a little stressed about the final round of the championship. That's all." I lied.
"Vrinda! When will you stop underestimating yourself? You defeated Prince Rudra in wrestling. It was an impossible task! Considering his massive physique. He is known as the most impeccable warrior in all of Bharatvarsh. Do you know how big of an achievement this is?" He Said, maintaining eye contact. I lowered my gaze.