things will never be the same

"That bastard Kariel is alive?"

Niki was unphased by the strong glare Jungwon held in his gaze. He, too, simply kept his place beside him with their usual distance. Jungwon, upon hearing a usual class story from his older sister that a certain individual named Jay Park was in her class made him realise that he wasn't the only one reincarnated with a past life.

"I didn't think Kariel and Aleksandr would be so close by," Jungwon muttered, crossing his arms. "To find more than one vampire would be a miracle."

"We found Sunoo hyung as well," Niki commented, "but you have to find more, don't you? Is there significance behind finding them?"

"Kariel took everything from me — he took my Aleksandr," Jungwon muttered firecely. I've never had the desire to kill anyone until I met him. If Aleksandr lives, then Kariel is definitely alive. Aleksandr needs Kariel to complete his solstice."

"What happened to him?" Niki asked in confusion. "Is he no longer vampire?"

"He was a royal, and he needed the blood of a royal to feed on," Jungwon began. "He was reincarnated, but was merely a halfling, it seems, because he's not fully vampire. Kariel is definitely going to help him complete his solstice — but not if I kill Kariel first."

Niki widened his eyes immediately, turning as that statement grabbed his full attention. "Kristopher—"

"Kariel just took Aleksandr from me, Erik," Jungwon said quickly, "and I won't lose to him again. In this life, I'll make sure that Aleksandr and Kristopher are together, as they were supposed to be."

Niki shook his head. "This is going too far…"

"This is my son Kristopher Haralson, and beside him is his friend Erik Kvalheim. He can't speak English too well, but was taught well in the Scandinavian region. We don't know what country he's from, exactly, but we welcome him regardless."

Aleksandr didn't pay much attention to his father's new guests, as he had a new pair or two every other day. All he had to do was greet, stay for some of the introductory conversation, and then he could go off on his own again. He wasn't too fond of conversation, yet he had to do what he must.

"This is my oldest son Aleksandr Reylian and his close friend Kariel Alfin."

"Oh, Aleksandr? Unusual name."

"My wife is Russian, and she chose the name upon recommendation from her brother."

"Father," Aleksandr said suddenly, "I'd like to be excused, along with Kariel. We were doing a task before coming."

"And what task was that?"

"Garden, father."

"Oh, then take the two boys with you," Mr Haralson urged with a bright, businesslike smile. "I'm sure they'd rather be out there than with us old men. Run along, you boys."

Aleksandr's father nodded and he just turned around, the two young guests following behind. It was strange and awkward, since Kariel and Aleksandr were used to only having each other. They seemed younger too, perhaps by a year or two. Kristopher was your average pretty brunette boy, but Erik had piercing blue eyes and striking blonde hair that stood out in the dull countryside.

"I know you're one as well." The two older boys turned around to face Kristopher, who had just spoken. "One who relies on the night."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Aleksandr said immediately.

"Your friend has scars on his neck."

Aleksandr clicked his tongue in annoyance before smiling. "Oh, you're a vampire as well? That's good to know."

"I'm no vampire," Kristopher replied, turning his head to Erik beside him. "I'm incapable of becoming one, so I'm feed for young Erik over here. We're friends through our mothers, who are quite close, and he trusted me with the sceret of being a vampire. I let him feed on me, and we found out I couldn't be turned into a vampire."

"Does that matter?" Kariel asked. "Did you come all the way here to tell us that? Aleksandr doesn't need you, if that's what you're thinking."

Kristopher observed them before smiling. "Because he's biting you?" Kariel glared slightly before turning around and walking away. Kristopher held a smug smile on his face before he pushed his hair out his face, revealing more of the cinnamon-like freckles on his pale white skin. "Do you feed regularly on him?"

"He wants to be a vampire, for some reason, so I agreed to turn him," was Aleksandr's response. "It's taking forever, however, and I'm getting annoyed."

"Then he's like me — unable to become a vampire," Kristopher said. "That's why I let Erik feed on me — nothing will happen if he does. Maybe you could replace Kariel with me—"

"All of you have no self-respect, offering your bodies up without a second thought," Aleksandr spat, turning around. "Kariel disgusts me, and I feel no different about you. You just offer yourself so easily — I despise that."

"Your kind just want to consume blood, either way," Kristopher said quickly. "You enjoy using as much as he enjoys being used."

"Don't lump me with you mortals," Aleksandr snapped, his tone bitter. "Find some other vampire to bite you. I'm not doing it. I'm sure Erik is enough for you."

[ ffs this chapter was so short, I'm so sorry :( but I hope you're enjoying the book thus far! :D ]

[ — ERICVERSE ]