i want to suffer

The next morning arrived, and Jay was all alone in his bedroom. Heeseung was nowhere to be seen, but Jay was sure he was in his own bedroom. He sat up, looking out the window to his right. The sun peeked through beautifully and carefully, decorating the room with a soft glow. He sat up, stretching his arms above his head.

"You're awake quite late."

Jay checked his left, thinning his eyes when he saw Heeseung standing at the door with his arms crossed. "We're done, aren't we? Stop bothering me."

"You still need more blood, but I'm sure with how much you took from me last night, you'll be okay for a couple days, if not more than a week," Heeseung said with a slight smile. He had no motive behind his smile, except to maybe irritate Jay. "So even if I'm not going to bother with you, we should pretend to tolerate one another around those nice people downstairs."

Jay scoffed at the sight of Heeseung's rather pretentious smile and looked away. "I don't have to pretend. I wanted to respect you anyways, despite this predicament, but things have changed. My solstice has been pushed ahead."

Heeseung looked to the side, momentarily revealing his neck to Jay. He caught sight of the few bite marks in his neck, and pressed his lips together. Heeseung sighed, looking at Jay and uncrossing his arms before turning around. "Breakfast is done, I'll join you for conversation because I've eaten already."

Jay stood up as well to walk to his en suite bathroom. "I'll join you in ten minutes."

"You ass, you've been gone for a few days — where the hell were you?"

Jay looked at his friends, Yedam and Minhee, with apologetic eyes. "Sorry, I have a new guest in my place. I had to help him settle in, and it's still a little awkward between us. However, we got a little closer."

"Oh, who's this guest?" Yedam asked, walking as soon as Jay closed his locker so that they could head to class.

"The son of a family friend," Jay replied. "His father works with mine, and they're thinking of moving into the same area as us. He's staying with me until preparation is done or whatever. I'm generally okay with it."

"It's a little sudden to suddenly live with someone in your house," Minhee hummed. "Oh, excuse me — your mansion."

"Hey, we spoke about this," Jay said hurriedly. "It's my father's manor, not mine. I just look after it while he's out on business. And you're allowed there whenever you want, Min — I don't mind having you there."

"You have a new guest, so it'll be a little awkward if I suddenly show up," Minhee shrugged as they entered their class. "It's fun there and all, but… I feel out of place, you know?"

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm going to crash there soon," Yedam said, running over to claim his unassigned assigned seat that he sat in every day in chemistry class. Jay sighed, shaking his head as he walked to join Yedam. He was worried about his friends meeting Heeseung — wouldn't it be a little odd?

Heeseung wasn't exactly the most talkative person, but his current personality is definitely different from Kariel's. While Kariel was vindictive, spiteful and rather childish, Heeseung was rather soft-spoken, kinder and more natural. Speaking to him was comfortable, while speaking Kariel is like holding a friendly conversation with the devil themself.

He wondered how he would treat his friends — with the kindness of Heeseung or the venemous spite of Kariel?

Heeseung stared down at his phone, wondering what to watch on YouTube. However, his mind drew blank. He didn't know what to do anymore. He sighed, turning his screen off and tossing his phone to the bed. He turned to his side, staring at the blank, pale cream wallpaper decorated with soft dark wood accents and burgundy designs.

The sight of the old designs made him nauseous, sick to the stomach. He hated it. Kariel hated it. The silk sheets and scents of old fraying books were akin to the life in his past — and it was nostalgic in a bad way. He sighed, wondering what had went wrong. Kariel had wanted to become a vampire, yet failed — was he simply unable to do so?

Aleksandr had bitten him countless times and fed on him for years until Kariel's mortal end, while Aleksandr was killed soon enough by vampire hunters. Yet their souls reincarnated, with the states of their physical being — Heeseung as the mortal with sweet blood, and Jay as the vampire, reduced to a halfling with an incomplete solstice.

Nothing felt to change after Jay bit him the night before. Nothing yet, at least. Jay had bitten him a fair amount of times, but he was sharper than expected so it hurt quite a bit. Even then, Jay — or Aleksandr — was quite gentle with Heeseung. The older wondered how far it would go — how far would soul enemies go before they realised they were enemies.

"Heeseung-nim, your lunch is ready. It had been laid out, and Jay-nim will join you soon as he has returned from school." A young maiden bowed at the door, and Heeseung sat up, bowing as well before she walked out. Heeseung felt something off about the workers when he had arrived — he wondered if some of them were reincarnated as well, from their past lives as workers in Aleksandr's family manor.

Nonetheless, Heeseung stood up and prepared to walk out, but he was stopped by a sudden arm blocking his path from leaving. He glared slightly, catching Jay's gaze immediately. "What?"

"I have friends over, be nice," was all Jay said, glaring back. "Pretend to be nice, if you have to. And cover up your neck, or sit in a way that they can't see the bites."

"You bit me on both sides, you fool," Heeseung said with a scoff. He smirked slightly, leaning forward until their faces were mere centimeters apart. "Besides, it's best to entice you with company around. Watching you they to resist will be fine."

Jay played along, grabbing Heeseung's waist and pulling him closer. "When night comes, you won't be safe."

"Oh, I'd like you to ravage me like the beast you are, my sweet Aleksandr."

Jay smirked, letting go of him and turning around to walk down the corridor. "Join me for lunch, and we'll talk later about this solstice thing."