CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

KORAH

Korah stood from her father's body that laid in the rubble. The bright sun was open to the room; heavy dust, shards of glass and fragmented columns laid on the floor. Concrete continued to fall from the caved roof as she stumbled to the closed door. But, besides the wind that blew through the open walls, it was quiet. The other side of the door was silent. Opening the door, she was greeted by the four of them talking to a stranger. A woman who'd she thought was her own reflection in a mirror. She was, of course, older with the subtle greys lightening her hair – her midnight blue hair and grey eyes had changed tone from age. She was the wiser version of herself.

"Korah. Sobrina", her aunt hugged her delicately as Korah stood astonished. She hadn't seen her aunt in such a long time. She'd used the name for she'd thought it belonged to no one.

"Are you hurt?" she asked Korah, examining her as if she were a child who scraped her knee. Korah shook her head 'no'. Words were stuck in her throat; the scene of events shocked her. Her father's death was enough, and now to know that her long lost aunt was still alive? What would Kèla Tapênze feel about her twin brother's death? Would she feel relieved to know her unfaithful brother and capturer was dead? Would she grieve?

"He's dead", she whispered. Kèla was shocked and looked overher shoulder to her brother, lying still on the ground. Then, letting go of Korah, she walked into what was the throne room. Korah stumbled over to Marcus and found comfort in his arms. He also was weak, but they relaxed on the stone floor. They felt mutual relief; the internal thoughts and feelings merged, comforting them both. His blood-soaked shirt didn't bother her.

However, the corpse who laid dead on the floor brought more shock to her. The Captain's head laid at Marcus' feet. She'd seen a decapitated body before, but the man who she'd once trusted and now hated was dead. His eyes were partially closed, his scar still laid under his right, where her fingernail gashed deep those almost six years ago. Marcus turned her head to face him, his hands on either side of her face and looking her right in the eyes. Lightly rubbing the dirt from her cheek.

"I'm so glad you're okay" he smiled.

"Don't you go soft on me, now", she lightly laughed. Her body was too weak to move a muscle.

"You're right. You know what, I don't care. Good job in there" Marcus' cheeky attitude made her giggle. She would never usually be the one to laugh, but she couldn't help herself. Maybe she was going crazy, but at that moment, she had never felt so happy. Her family wasn't entirely together, but she found her brother and aunt, who found a weird coincidence. Why now that her father is dead and she's finally found her brother? She was going to deal with that later; for now, she was content with what she'd accomplished. Gnamalea was now a city that could live freely, have food to feed families and have a happy life! Money won't be a hassle to get hands-on—a town with no crime with no need to steal from others.

Azula was sat against a column, breathing heavily. She seemed exhausted, but she looked a little green.

Marcus helped Korah stand on her feet, walked over to her friend and sat beside her. "You are so goddamn stubborn", she laughed. "Are you okay?" Azula chuckled, touching her tiny stomach.

"I'm okay; however, this bebè is always making my stomach turn" Korah smiled at her friend. She'd be forever grateful to her. She'd offered to help even to put herself and her physical state at risk.

"Thank you if there is anything you need, especially now. I am happy to help, anything for the things you've helped me with for these past couple of years," Korah said quietly.