CHAPTER THREE

The sun may be shining, and the city may was filled with good people, but of those, good people are the ones that are hungry for vengeance and disaster. Nonetheless, some of those hungry may be good people. Happiness was rare in Gnamalea. Over the years that King Amatus had taken the throne by apparent family bloodline, everyone seemed to have lost their reason to be happy. The kingdom was bound to fall eventually, but not everyone saw it the way Korah did.

She found it pleasant to sit amongst the long grass and watch the view from above the small city. A breeze, fanning out her hair. It was risky to be caught by anyone, but since the fire and the three years her brother had been taken and not knowing whether he had a pulse – this was the only place she knew to go for comfort.

A woman's scream broke the silence and echoed through the west side of the city. With her axe in hand, she could see a copper-haired woman. She looked to be in her early adolescence, maybe younger. Her arms held behind her back and her corset half undone in the front.

Korah jumped from the cliff, landing on a branch effortlessly, and swung softly on the short grass. She knew what the soldier's intentions were with the young villager. The guards were a filthy bunch with no remorse. That is why Korah felt she needed to stay. After the fire, she had thought so many times if it were best for her to leave. If the city would be safer without her, but things like this started to occur too often.

The soldiers knew that, and with the King not doing his loyal duties, they all thought they could do anything of their own free will, with no law. She snuck through the thick trees with her hood over her face as she came into view of the young woman and men. The poor girl was powerless and alone against the six built men.

She threw her axe straight without thinking twice that the first guards head as she ran towards the others. The other guard let the girl go and ran towards her as she swung her leg and collided it with his leg, as she pulled her axe out of the bloody and cold body at the girl's feet.

She grabbed another soldier from behind, pulling his arm behind his back and out of its socket and letting him drop to the floor with the other two. The one who she had tripped ran at her. His sword was no used to him as she slit his throat as soon as he could get close enough. The other two were down; within seconds, she hit one with her axe's hilt and kicked the other in the throat. She looked up at the copper-haired girl as she cowered away in the corner with her dress undone, exposed but covered by her arms.

"I'm not going to hurt you", Korah says in her thick Greek accent. The girl nodded, showing she knew English. The girl was petite. Her copper hair was long and curly; some would mistake her for a Scot. She was beautiful; the poor girl had a curse for beauty and what seemed like sixteen.

Korah kept her head down as the girl softly cried in her hands. Before Korah could walk away, the girl stood and called out to her.

"What is your name?" she spoke in her delicate voice.

"Names are not important", she replied. The girl smiled and watched as the cloaked girl walked away and disappeared into the trees. Before going back to the cliff tops, Korah needed to visit the market.

The market was always busy in the early afternoons. Winter was slowly approaching in the few weeks, with low stock and dormant harvesting. They were always cheap for the upcoming season. Desperate customers quickly purchased the numerous carts and trailers full of fruits, meats, and wheat. Her cloak was sticking to her skin as the cold, wet earth seeped through her boots. Which reminded her to buy new boots from the Shoe Maker in the East; people at each trailer stop to purchase as she notices pieces of thick paper nailed to a light post:

Korah Lagnora

Wanted Dead or Alive.

Reward: 10,000 Euro's