CHAPTER NINE

MARCUS

He was too awake in the early afternoon. He knew Korah had been staying up late hours during the night to make sure he slept, but he'd hoped she'd get better sleep. Once he got himself up from the snow, he noticed a thin layer of frost on the thick material laid over the sleeping girl. Her blue-black hair spread out under her head like a stream of black blood, more beauty than gore. How he had seen her from the moment they'd met. She was deadly, dangerously mesmerizing in a way. He had an urge to stay close to her. To deliver her to the King was cruel, but for his freedom, he couldn't resist. He didn't know whether the King was a fraud, but curiosity got to him. As she continued to sleep, he made sure his sword was clean and that their valuables were untouched. The gift Quill had given him was truly magnificent. The blade was perfectly sculptured, suiting his character.

The sound of water was blissful. A stream not far from their campsite. He stripped off his clothes and walked into the freezing water, chunks of ice surrounding his body. Luckily it hadn't frozen over yet. He slowly made his way through the water to his waist. Using his hands, he poured the water over his face and shoulders. He looked down at his wound and saw the excess blood had been washed away, his wound closing over. Korah's medicine must have worked like magic overnight; the pain was fading. Quite a quick recovery. Brushing his hair away from his eyes and watching the water ripple under his movements, he caught sight of a figure behind him. He turned around and saw Korah standing still, looking at his muscle back.

"Care to join me?" he asked cockily. It hadn't minded him for a woman to see him so vulnerable, but her grey eyes watching him made his heart beat faster. He continued to pour the freezing water onto his body, rubbing it into his eyes to wash the sleep from the corners of his eyes. He turned around, facing Korah, her naked body facing his. She didn't seem shy about her body either. The Gazelle certainly had courage, possibly more than the mighty Lion.

She poured water onto her pale skin, the water droplets falling on her breasts. She didn't seem fazed by Marcus staring. Just like yesterday, he hadn't seen anything so beautiful. Her body was enchanting. Her skin was like a white sheet, and her hair like a waterfall of water of a midnight stream. Black and blue ripples fell from her back and shoulders. His body was numb. Not from the cold water or the cold wind rushing past his body. It was her. The effect she has on him, he'd never felt this feeling before. The water falling down her neck looked almost invisible against her skin: an assassin, a warriors body. The scar on her face made her look like she would be intimidating to other people, but she still looked beautiful, dangerously excitable to him.

She looked up at him. He couldn't resist looking into her eyes. Lifting her head up to get a better view of her face, he noticed her eyes had changed colour. Their standard grey changed to a glowing blue. It was strange.

"You are so beautiful", he whispered. They glowed brighter, and Korah's veins had set alight with the same blue trail across her skin, like a map. It flowed from her cheeks and neck to her chest. She seemed to notice it, but she didn't seem fazed by it the slightest. How long had she known she had been doing this? What was her body doing?

She looked away and walked out of the water. Her body from her waist below was exposed, but she still didn't seem to be fazed. Pulling her clothes over her pale body to warm her cold skin. "Don't take too long; we need to keep moving".

She walked back to the camp, leaving him alone in the water. His heart rate started to slow down once he spilled another handful of water. He walked out of the water and changed back into his clothes. Specks of snow fell on his skin as he walked back towards the camp, the cold air lingering on his skin as he thought more about how beautiful the young Lagnora was.