CHAPTER TWELVE

MARCUS

Korah had been unconscious for two days. Almost like she was in a coma, they'd hoped she would wake up soon. They had been walking for two days, carrying her body was practically effortless, but both Seb and Marcus had to keep switching turns before the sun went down. They had camped out in the trees further towards the north, keeping close to the border. At night he kept her warm under their coats Azula had saved from the house. He liked to stay close to her, to keep her warm like a shield from the icy cold air. She was occasionally moving in her sleep now, slowly waking up. She must have needed to regain her energy after her encounter with the captain. Marcus hated how he is portraying Korah. Especially after what happened just a couple of nights ago. He had never felt something so substantial as what he did that night.

He could tell she would have felt vulnerable when he had seen her so naked. How he pleasured her like that, how she pleasured him. Even though things hadn't gone all the way, they still could make each other feel things they had never felt before. The way her eyes glowed and the heat and electricity that had sparked through his own body every time she touched him. It drew him crazy. Seeing her body for the first time in the forest was the first time he had seen beauty such as hers. But that night, seeing it again, felt like he was dreaming, how close she was and the way she felt under his touch.

"I sure hope she wakes up soon", Azula says, kneeling on the other side of her and lightly moved her to stay hairs away from Korah's face. Her dark her like ink, sprawled around her head. "She is my only friend. The only friend was other than Seb that I can trust. She understands me. The poor thing shouldn't be treated the way she is. Neither should you" he looked down at Azula, her dreadlocks tied in a band, keeping it from her face. "She told me you steal for family. I praise you for it; my father did the same. If only he had made it as far as you have come" she smiled sadly.

The poor girl, she had lived her life alone, without her father – and what it seemed – without a mother. "When did you find Seb?" smiling, she turned to Seb and chuckled to herself.

"I had found him while helping an old lady in the markets. I needed the money, so I worked for her three times a week; Seb had been wondering on his own. He had come from a city, a long journey, two months to be exact. With no food or shelter, I took him in. We look after each other, and I'm glad he had come all that way, especially if he were to come to me" she paused, looking down at Korah playing with her hair. For the first time, he spoke up, almost thought it was someone else.

"I will always come to you, always", his voice deep and gravelly

Feeling like he was interrupting their intimate moment, Marcus concentrated on Korah. Her breathing was heavy as every breath she took was deep, and she exhales her short and stocky. As the air grew colder, Marcus slipped under the thick coat beside Korah, their body heat keeping each other warm. The saw underneath Marcus' skin was thick and had has grown colder since the last they'd been outdoors.

The deal Marcus had made with the King was something he would regret for the rest of his life. Portraying the people he loved. His mother, the woman who raised him to become the man he is. His brothers, their one chance at becoming men, he abandoned them. Korah, his first love and companion.... his father, the man Marcus wish he were.

KORAH

Her mother's screams were deafening. The winter's polar cold air blowing through her golden hair. Her fair features, her blue eyes like the depths of a frozen river – filled with fear. She ran so fast Korah couldn't keep up. The draped silhouette flew past her, not even lifting an eye at her. The same outline she had encountered in her dream by the fire. His eyes were the same haunting colour, the same cold aura he spread across her skin. She followed it. If this was a way to show exactly what had happened to her mother, she wasn't going to hesitate. It was quick, but she still followed in both Delevigne and the dark creature's path. She could hear blasts of lightning. The closer she got, the louder it became.