Chapter 9

I wanted to believe that the people who snuck away from the camp were just sneaking away to have fun, it probably happened all the time.  That was too much of a coincidence. 

"Do you think we should go back to camp to get weapons and then catch them?" I asked the Darkling.

   "I wish but we've been gone for so long that we'll draw too much attention." the Darkling said.

The little light from the moon helped me see the disappointment written across his face. Part of me was relieved that I would get to return to camp and get some sleep. Even though we failed .

   "Where were you! You could've been captured or killed. I was so worried about you guys." Willow said as a greeting while throwing her arms around the Darkling, almost knocking him over. 

Once again I was reminded of what I used to have with Mal. The Darkling was explaining what happened to Willow but I was barely focused on them.

I was more focused on General Janazain glaring at us from across the camp. Was it his hatred for grisha; more specifically the Darkling or had we somehow given ourselves away. The Darkling and I weren't particularly subtle, could the Fijerdans have caught onto us? I was too tired to think about it too closely. It was late and fortunately I didn't need to do anything before going to sleep.

I woke up the next morning to the Darkling gently shaking my shoulder. It was certainly better than how Willow woke me up the previous morning.

"This is the girl's tent, what are you doing here you creep." I muttered into my pillow

"It's almost noon there's nobody else in here."

How did I get away with sleeping in so late?

"How-"

  "I told everyone that you were on a supply run so you could sleep in but they're back now so get up." the Darkling said while offering me a cup of coffee.

"Is there sugar or salt in it?" I teased

"Sugar. You're not going to let me forget that,  are you?" The Darkling said.

I noticed that he was blushing. I liked making him blush more than I should.

"Never."

The Darkling left the tent and I quickly changed. The sky was dark and I could tell it was going to rain. I rushed to help move the new supplies, I did my best to act like I'd been helping the entire time. I felt bad that I hadn't helped Kate with anything yet but I couldn't find her anywhere so she probably didn't need my help. Or she was mad at me.

I was moving the new supplies when General Janazain approached me. Saints he was the last person I wanted to talk to.

   "You need to talk to me about the patrol when you're done with this." He said.

I couldn't think of what I possibly could have done to make him hate me but definitely did. I worked significantly slower to avoid talking to him, I knew I would have to eventually and when the rain started I finally sulked to his tent. The Darkling was already there and I'd walked into some type of argument. Did they ever not argue?

   "Hey" I said as an awkward announcement that I was here.

"Alina, tell General Janazain that we didn't disobey his orders." the Darkling said, the look he was giving me said that he would murder me if I told the truth.

"Umm...yeah we did exactly what we were supposed to do."

Why did I have to be so bad at lying?