four

Today is the day Buckbeak is to be executed. I'm sitting in Hagrid's hut with him, Maddie, Ron, Hermione, and Harry. I know that Hagrid is beyond upset with this. Seeing an innocent animal killed is the worst thing that could happen to him.

"It truly is a sin," I comment.

"Look at him. Loves the smell of the trees when the wind blows through them," Hagrid says as he watches Buckbeak.

"Why don't we just set him free?" Harry asks.

"They'd know it was me, and then Dumbledore... would get into trouble. He's coming down, Dumbledore. Says he wants to be with me when they... When it happens. Great man, Dumbledore. A great man," Hagrid says.

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Hermione offers.

"You'll do no such thing! Think I want you seeing something like that? No. You just drink your tea and be off. Oh. Before you do, Ron..." Hagrid pulls Scabbers out of the container.

"Scabbers! You're alive!" Ron remarks.

Hagrid hands Scabbers over. "Keep a closer eye on your pets, Ron."

Truly I just want to grab Scabbers and snap his neck. But doing that now would be of no help to Sirius. I know he wants to confront Peter; he wants Peter to tell the truth so Sirius can be free.

"I think you owe someone an apology," Hermione tells Ron.

"Right. Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know," Ron assures.

"I meant me," Hermione tells him.

Suddenly one of the jars on the table shatters.

"Blimey! What was that?" Hagrid remarks.

I look around confused. "What the hell?"

"Ow!" Harry grabs the back of his head. "Hagrid!"

"It's late. It's nearly dark. You shouldn't be here. Someone sees you outside the castle at this time of night, you'll be in trouble. Big trouble. Particularly you, Harry," Hagrid warns. There's a knock on the door. "With you in a moment!" Hagrid shoes them off. "Quick. Quick!"

Harry stops. "Hagrid. It'll be fine. It'll be okay."

"Go on, go on!" Hagrid tells him.

Maddie looks at me once more before dragging Harry off with her.

I open the front door. Dumbledore is surprised to see me. "Oh Professor. What are you doing here?"

"I was just visiting with Hagrid, wanted to keep him company, but I can see you have some business to attend to. So, I'll be off," I tell him.

Dumbledore, Fudge, and the executioner step aside. I start to make my way back up the hill. I don't stop or turn back. I can't risk Fudge getting suspicious. I watch as Madeline, Ron, Harry, and Hermione run up the hill to meet me. We stop at the ring of stones. We watch as the executioner lifts his axe. I can't even watch. I wrap my arms around Maddie, so she doesn't have to watch. I turn my own head away not needing to see it either. Hermione buries her face in Ron's shoulder.

"He bit me!" Ron says. He looks around. "Scabbers!" He starts to chase after the rat.

"Ron. Ron!" Hermione says.

Ron starts back down the hill.

"Ron!" Harry and I call after him.

"Scabbers, come back!" Ron begs.

"Wait!" Hermione shouts.

We follow after Ron. Ron stops when he gets a hold of Scabbers. He is right in front of the Whomping Willow.