twenty six

The ride back to Hogwarts on the train is all but silent. No one has much to say. Everything is different. Strange. If Bill and I had married any other time I probably would have taken the year off. But with everything going on this is where I'm supposed to be. I sit next to Ginny and across from Neville. Something that used to be so happy and lively is now dark and marked with uncertainty.

Suddenly the train stops. Death Eaters walk into the compartment.

Cormac stands up. "My father will hear about this."

The Death Eaters say nothing as they keep walking.

Neville stands up. "Hey, losers. He isn't here."

Once the Death Eaters clear the train we're off again.

I walk with Ginny down the platform at Hogsmeade.

"Ginny, please listen to me. This isn't the Hogwarts you've known for the past six years. Things have changed. Pick your battles wisely," I warn.

"You want me to sit back and do nothing if something happens?" Ginny asks.

I shake my head. "No. I know that that is not who you are. I just want you to think before doing. The punishments that Umbridge handed out will be nothing compared to the new Deputy Headmasters." Ginny nods. "Remember if you need anything I'm always here."

Severus Snape, newly-appointed headmaster of Hogwarts... .has decreed that all students must conform to the latest house rules. Hogwarts bears little resemblance to the school under Dumbledore's leadership. Snape's curriculum is severe, reflecting the wishes of the Dark Lord... and infractions are dealt with harshly by the two Death Eaters on staff.

I dare say Hogwarts resembles Azkaban. The school is run like a prison under Snape's orders. Students are practically tortured for breaking rules or for angering Alceto or Amycus Carrow the Deputy Headmasters. Defense Against the Dark Arts under Amycus' control has simply turned into a class about the Dark Arts. It's like the students are being trained to become Death Eaters. Under Alceto's control Muggle Studies has become one big campaign of pureblood superiority.

I find myself listening to the radio every night. Much like all the students do. Wizards are disappearing left and right. Every night I thank Merlin when I don't hear Maddie's or Bill's or Remus' Molly's or Arthur's or any of the names for anyone I care about.

"And now for the names of missing witches and wizards. These are confirmed. Thankfully, the list is short today.

Jason and Alison Denbright.

Bella, Jake, Charlie, and Madge Farley.

Joe Laurie.

Eleanor Sarah Gibbs.

Harry and Bronwyn Trigg.

Rob and Ellie Dowson.

Georgia Clark-Day.

Joshua Flexson.

George Coutas.

Gabriella and Emily Mather.

Jacob and Mimi Erland.

William and Brian Gallagher.

Toby and Olivia Gleaves.

Katie and James Killick.

Elsie Valentine Schroeder.

Jennifer Winston.

Tamsin and Lola Hillicker.

Scarlet and Kitty Sharp."

My only reprieve from the horror that has become Hogwarts is spending Christmas with Bill. We were supposed to head to the Burrow to see his family but a surprise arrival this morning changed our plans.