eighteen

Death Eaters have decided that it's not enough to terrorize wizards anymore. They've been wreaking havoc all summer. They caused a bridge collapse right in the heart of London. Everyone is afraid that behind the next corner Voldemort could be waiting there to kill them. Maddie and I have spent the summer at the Burrow. The whole Weasley family was rather excited when Bill and I told them we were engaged. Molly has been talking about the wedding non-stop. Bill has been in and out all summer doing whatever he can for the Order while still working for Gringotts.

I sit in the kitchen drinking a cup of tea with Maddie.

"Are you excited for school to start again?" I ask. Maddie groans. "I'll take that as a no."

"I'm excited to have a free period this year," Maddie tells me.

I laugh. "Glad to know you don't care about school at all."

"I'm also excited about quidditch," Maddie adds.

"Now that I understand," I tell her.

I smile at Ginny as she walks into the room. "Have you seen my book?" Ginny asks.

"In the living room," I tell her.

She walks away to get her book coming back a moment later. She stops in front of the stairs.

"Mum!" Ginny shouts.

"Ginny, what is it?" Molly asks.

"I was only wondering when Harry got here," Ginny states.

"What? Harry... Harry, who?" Molly asks.

"Harry Potter, of course," Ginny states.

Maddie and I look at each other before getting up and walking towards the living room. Sure enough Hedwig is sitting there in her cage with Harry's trunk.

"I think I'd know if Harry Potter was in my house, wouldn't I?" Molly counters.

"She's right Molly," I state.

"His trunk's in the living room... and his owl," Maddie adds.

"But no, dear. I seriously doubt that," Molly says.

Ron sticks his head out into the staircase. "Harry? Did someone say Harry?"

"Me, nosey. Is he up there with you?" Ginny asks.

"Of course not. I think I'll know if my best friend's in my room, wouldn't I?" Ron remarks.

Hermione pokes her head out of the room she's been staying in. "Is that an owl I heard?"

"You haven't seen him, have you?" Maddie asks.

"Apparently, he's wandering about the house. Must have walked right past us," I state.

"Really?" Hermione asks.

"Really." It's Harry.

"Harry!" Molly shouts.

Ginny is the first to hug him. Maddie follows suit. Ron, Hermione, and Molly walk into the room.

"Harry." Hermione pulls Harry in for a hug.

Molly pulls Harry into a hug. "What a lovely surprise! Why didn't you let us know you were coming?"

"I didn't know. Dumbledore," Harry tells Molly with a smile.

"Oh, that man! What would we be without him?" Molly remarks.

Ron points to Hermione. "A bit of... toothpaste."

We head to Diagon Alley. It's nothing like the first time I ever saw it. Most of the stores are closed and only a few people are around. Most people are scared. Another war is coming. The only store bustling is Fred and George's, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. They opened it after they left Hogwarts. They are doing rather well. I think Molly is just happy that they actually had a plan after dropping out. A plan that not only makes them money but got them out of the Burrow.