Chapter 18

After teaching Zhang to log into the resource library and sharing his personal code with him, YiHuang changes into a civilian outfit his brother had left for him. Soon after, grabbing only the most essential items from the cave and hiding the rest under an invisible shield, the two men mount their swords.

YiHuang teaches him a few complicated maneuvers. He explains some common ways to track signals if they would have to part ways before reaching their destination. He is surprised when Zhang is quick on the uptake.

"Are you impressed?" Zhang asks in light and teasing tone. His words are met with an eye roll; it makes him laugh, "It's okay if you are. We can keep it a secret." He winks with a finger on his lips.

"Enough. Follow me." YiHuang commands, adding, "If anyone asks, show them your badge and tell them that you are only answerable to me."

Zhang nods, and the two men leave the grove in the thick of the night. Luckily, no one stops them. The paths are almost deserted except for a few guards patrolling the barrier at various strategic locations.

After having encountered the security a dozen or so times, Zhang asks, "Why do you have people patrolling the barrier? It's not like the humans are capable of breaching it."

"And yet, here you are, a human in our impenetrable kingdom." YiHuang retorts sarcastically. Zhang bobs his head, "You have a point there. But as your brother put it, I am an anomaly. You have been here for hundreds if not thousands of years, and I am the first one to enter your domain."

"True." YiHuang agrees. He touches a spot on the belt at his waist, and the swords descend till they are merely a few inches from the ground. "Let us take a break." He suggests, "There is a town up ahead. Let's rest for an hour. Beyond this town lies the bridge. It connects the Eastern part with Southern and Western regions. Once on the bridge, we can't stop unless it's an emergency."

"Emergency?"

"Vehicular malfunction, fuel depletion, accidental unmounting, etc."

Understanding dawns on Zhang's countenance. He nods and starts following the latter. The two enter the town; YiHuang continues, "Since you are now a Yuanjian for all intents and purposes, it's only right that I fill you in on the connection between the history of our race and this planet." YiHuang enters an establishment, "Stay close." He whispers and proceeds to the reception area and requests, " A cubicle for two, please."

The lady- dressed in similar attire as them, the only difference being the color of her robes: bisque- bows. She gives them a once-over, "Welcome to GuHai, Temporary Residence at its best." Bowing to the two, she enquires, "Is it a pit stop?"

"Yes." The prince replies.

"Would you like any other services?"

"No."

"Sustenance?"

"No. Thank you."

The lady acknowledges with a curt nod, "That will be 2 Rungs for an hour, Sir. Please follow me."

When the lady leaves, the two men make themselves comfortable on the cushioned floor. Zhang's curious eyes take in the surroundings, "It's minimalistic but practical. Is this how all homes look as well?"

"Pretty much. We only use what is most essential for survival and growth. Technology is a means to reduce and reuse waste. Every Yuanjian is taught from birth to think about what they are leaving behind for future generations." There is something unreadable in the prince's eyes as he finishes. He closes his eyes, "How are you feeling?"

"Good," Zhang replies, rolling his shoulders as if getting rid of a crick in his neck.

YiHuang's eyes narrow suspiciously, "Let me check on your wound." He reaches for the latter's robes intending to take a look but is stopped by Zhang.